This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Management Evolution and Controlled Coolant Flow
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A tremendous amount of research has been done on the coolant system of engines, however, the configuration remains virtually the same since the early 1900's. Recent testing has shown that by controlling components such as thermostats and water pumps, efficiency and emission improvements can be realized. With the nearing of higher voltage and hybrid systems, along with the availability of high efficiency electric pumps and valves, we are fast approaching the implementation of controlled coolant flow technology. This paper will discuss the problems with the current cooling systems, some of the work that has been done recently and what an ideal controlled coolant system may look like in the future.
CitationAllen, D. and Lasecki, M., "Thermal Management Evolution and Controlled Coolant Flow," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1732, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1732.
- Grant H.A. “The Making of An Automobilist” 1906
- Johnson J.H. Xu Z. “The Design and Testing of a Computer-Controlled Cooling System for a Diesel-Powered Truck” SAE 841717 1984
- Clough M. “Precision Cooling of a Four Valve per Cylinder Engine” SAE 931123 1993
- Saur R. Leu P. Lemberger H. Huemer G. “Map Controlled Engine Cooling System” 1996
- Krause W. Spies K “Dynamic Control of the Coolant Temperature for a Reduction of Fuel Consumption and Hydrocarbon Emission” SAE 960271 1996
- Ap N.S. Golm N.C. “New Concepts of Engine Cooling System (Newcool)” SAE 971775 1997
- Kern J. Ambros P. “Concepts for a Controlled Optimized Vehicle Engine Cooling System” SAE 971816 1997
- Hollis T. “Goodbye analog cooling, hello digital control” Engine Technology International 1998
- Kanefsky P. Nelson V. “A Systems Approach to Engine Cooling Design” SAE
- Cortona E. Onder C.H. “Engine Thermal Management with Electric Cooling Pump” SAE 2000-01-0965 2000
- Choi S. “Enhancing Thermal Conductivity of Fluids with Nanoparticles” 1995 ASME
- Glassey S.F. Stockner A.R. Flinn M.A. “HEUI - A New Direction for Diesel Engine Fuel Systems” SAE 930270 1993
- Hnatczuk W. Lasecki M.P. Bishop J. Goodell J. “Parasitic Loss Reduction for 21 st Century Trucks” SAE 2000-01-3423