This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of Metal-free Solar Reflective Film on Vehicle Climate Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The air-conditioning system can significantly impact the fuel economy and tailpipe emissions of automobiles. If the peak soak temperature of the passenger compartment can be reduced, the air-conditioner compressor can potentially be downsized while maintaining human thermal comfort. Solar reflective film is one way to reduce the peak soak temperature by reducing the solar heat gain into the passenger compartment. A 3M non-metallic solar reflective film (SRF) was tested in two minivans and two sport utility vehicles (SUV). The peak soak temperature was reduced resulting in a quicker cooldown. Using these data, a reduction in air-conditioner size was estimated and the fuel economy and tailpipe emissions were predicted.
CitationRugh, J., Farrington, R., and Boettcher, J., "The Impact of Metal-free Solar Reflective Film on Vehicle Climate Control," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1721, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1721.
- Farrington, R. Rugh, J. October 2000 “Impact of Vehicle Air Conditioning on Fuel economy, Tailpipe Emissions, and Electric Vehicle Range.” NREL Report No. CP-540-28960 Golden, CO NREL
- Federal Register October 22 1996 “Part II Environmental Protection Agency. Motor Vehicle Emissions Federal Test Procedure Revisions: Final Regulations.”
- Clean Air Vehicle Technology Center October 1999 “Effect of Air-conditioning on Regulated Emissions for In-Use Vehicles, Phase I, Final Report.” Coordinating Research Council, Inc. CRC Project E-37 http://www.crcao.com
- Farrington, R. Cuddy, M. Keyser, M. Rugh, J. 1999 “Opportunities to Reduce Air-conditioning Loads through Lower Cabin Soak Temperatures.” NREL Report No. CP-540-26615 Golden, CO NREL
- Wipke, K. Cuddy, M. Burch, S. 1999 “ADVISOR 2.1: A User-Friendly Advanced Powertrain Simulation Using a Combined Backward/Forward Approach.” 14 NREL Report No. JA-540-26839 Golden, CO NREL
- Wipke, K. Cuddy, M. Bharathan, D. Burch, S. Johnson, V. Markel, A. Sprik, S. 1999 ADVISOR 2.0: A Second-Generation Advanced Vehicle Simulatory for Systems Analysis 14 NREL Report No. TP-540-25928 Golden, CO NREL