This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Economical Engine Cooling System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The previous study presented during the last VTMS 4 showed the following results, for all engine cooling system and depending on the vehicles:
- Cost reduction by - 10 to -15%,
- Weight reduction by -15 to - 21%,
- Coolant volume reduction by -25%
- Fuel consumption by -3%,
- Thermal comfort improvement.
Despite of these good results, most of car manufacturers hesitated to use this new concept due to this technological breakthrough of engine cooling system because of expensive durability studies.
In this paper the electric fan has been simply suppressed and replaced by the heating blower allowing to cool the engine at idle and at low vehicle speed.
By suppressing the electric cooling fan, the advantages of this new economical engine cooling system become:
- cost reduction up to - 30%,
- weight reduction up to - 30%.
CitationAp, N., Maire, A., Jouanny, P., and Le Prigent, J., "Economical Engine Cooling System," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1708, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1708.
- APN.S. - MAIREA. - MENEGAZZIP. - POROTP. - SOUIDIF. - LE DEVEHATC., GODEAUD. - OLIVIERP. - LORINJ.Y. - VINCENSG.. “New Components Development for New Engine Cooling System” VTMS 4 Technical paper London 1999.
- APN.S. “A Simple Engine Cooling System Simulation Model” SAE technical paper n° 1999-01-0237.
- POROTP. - APN.S. - MAIREA. - MENEGAZZIP. - HENRIOS. - LE DEVEHATC. - GODEAUD. - OLIVIERP. - LORINJ.Y. - VINCENSG. “New Components for an Innovative Engine Cooling System” FISITA technical paper n° F98T054 Paris 1998.
- APN.S. and GOLMN.C., « New Concept of Engine Cooling System (Newcool) », VTMS-3 paper n° 971775, 1997.
- . POROTP.A., MENEGAZZIP. and APN.S., « Understanding and Improving Evaporative Engine Cooling at high load, high speed by Engine Tests and 3D Calculations », VTMS-3 paper n° 971792, 1997.
- . PRETSCHERM. and APN.S., « Nucleate Boiling Engine Cooling System - Vehicle Study », VTMS-1 paper n° 931132, 1993.