This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Method to Determine the Power Input Associated with Rain Excitation for SEA Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 30, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Statistical Energy Analysis is used to predict the sound pressure level (SPL) in the interior of the vehicle. This is accomplished by knowing the energy sources (tire, engine, wind, etc) affecting the interior as well as the acoustic performance (absorption and transmission loss) of the interior trim components (headliner, door panels, instrument panel, etc). One of the noise sources that has not been seriously examined to-date is panel excitation by precipitation. The excitation of the roof due to raindrops can be a major noise source. Knowing how to properly model this power input would help analyze different headliners or roof treatments to minimize the SPL in the interior cavity. This will involve computational determination of mass, speed, and energy of standard water droplets for one of rain condition. A power spectrum is presented for one rain intensity condition on a test fixture.
CitationMealman, M., Unglenieks, R., and Naghshineh, K., "A Method to Determine the Power Input Associated with Rain Excitation for SEA Models," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1625, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1625.
- Byers H. General Meteorology 3 McGraw-Hill 1959
- Hudson N.W. Soil Conservation The Physics of Rainfall 2nd. Batsford, London Cornell University Press Ithaca, NY
- Kinnel, P.I.A “The Acoustic Measurement of Water- Drop Impacts” Journal of Applied Meteorology 11 1972 691 4
- Laws, J. Otis “Measurements of the Fall-Velocity of Water-Drops and Raindrops” National Research Council, American Geophysical Union Transactions of 1941, Part 1 Joint Regional Meeting Sacramento CA January 1941 709 721
- Laws, J. Otis Parsons, Donald A. “The Relation of Raindrop-Size to Intensity” National Research Council, American Geophysical Union Transactions of 1943, Part 1 24th Annual Meeting Washington D.C. April 23-24 1941 452 460
- Rogers R.R. A Short Course in Cloud Physics 2 Pergamon Press 1979
- Veen, Gerald Mealman, Marvin Eppard, Phillip “A Method and Apparatus for Generating Full Vehicle Roof System Rain Noise for the Purpose of Development, Benchmarking and Interior Noise Performance Measurement” SAE Noise and Vibration Conference Proceedings Traverse City, MI April 30 May 3 2001