This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Subjective Evaluation of NVH CAE Model Predictions Using an Operator-in-the-Loop Driving Simulator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 30, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the past several years there has been a significant effort to increase the reliance on CAE technology to guide the vehicle design process, with the accompanying effort to reduce or eliminate vehicle prototype testing during the early design phase. Since little or no representative hardware is available early in the design, a tool is needed which allows NVH Development Engineers to subjectively experience the results of NVH CAE model predictions in a realistic driving environment. This paper documents the development of a high fidelity NVH simulator, including both audio and vibration, and the integration of this simulator into an “operator-in-the-loop” Driving Simulator. The key development of this system is its ability to incorporate NVH CAE predictions into the simulated driving environment. However, the technical challenge of generating and controlling synchronized audio and vibration signals of sufficient fidelity in an operator-in-the-loop environment is a significant task and will also be addressed.
CitationGoetchius, G., Ketelhut, C., Smallwood, B., and Eaton, C., "Subjective Evaluation of NVH CAE Model Predictions Using an Operator-in-the-Loop Driving Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1590, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1590.
- Ingham Ron Otto Norm McCollum Toya Sound Quality Metric for Diesel Engines Proceedings of the 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference , SAE 1999-01-1819
- Otto Norm Amman Scott Eaton Chris Lake Scott Guidelines for Jury Evaluations of Automotive Sounds Proceedings of the 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference , SAE 1999-01-1822
- Meier R.C. Jr. Otto N.C. Pielemeier W.J. Jeyabalan V. A New Tool for the Vibration Engineer Proceedings of the 1997 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference , SAE 971979
- Genuit Klaus Gierlich Hans W. Investigation of the Correlation between Objective Noise Measurement and Subjective Classification Proceedings of the 1989 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference , SAE 891154
- Genuit Klaus Investigation and Simulation of Vehicle Noise Using the Binaural Measurement Technique Proceedings of the 1987 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference , SAE 870959
- Nig Xiang Genuit Klaus Gierlich Hans W. Herzogenrath, Germany Investigations on a New Reproduction Procedure for Binaural Recordings , 95 th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society 1993 October 7 - 10 New York
- Bray Wade Eaton Chris : Understanding FIR (Finite Impulse Response) Filtering Sonic Perceptions Technical Bulletin Summer 1995