This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis and Experimental Study of the Mean Flow Effect on the Sound Transmission Through a Cylindrical Shell of an Automobile Muffler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 30, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Sound transmission through the sidewall of an automotive muffler has been studied theoretically and experimentally. Three wall structures: a single shell, double shell and porous-cored shell constructions are considered. Transmission losses through the sidewalls were measured using the two microphone method. Experimental results are compared to one another, and to the corresponding theoretical analysis results, which shows that the mean flow effect is not a significant factor in designing the muffler sidewall.
CitationLee, J., Kim, J., and Kothamasu, V., "Analysis and Experimental Study of the Mean Flow Effect on the Sound Transmission Through a Cylindrical Shell of an Automobile Muffler," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1517, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1517.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
- Smith, P. W. Jr. “ Sound Transmission Through Thin Cylindrical Shells ” Journal of Acoustical Society of America 29 712 729 1957
- White P. “ Sound Transmission Through An Finite, Closed, Cylindrical Shells ” Journal of Acoustical Society of America 40 1124 1130 1966
- Koval L. R. “ On Sound Transmission into A Thin Cylindrical Shell under Flight Conditions ” Journal of Sound and Vibration 48 265 275 1975
- Koval L. R. “ Effects of Stiffening on Sound Transmission into A Cylindrical Shell in Flight ” AIAA Journal 15 899 900 1977
- Blasise A. Lesuer C. Gotteland M. Barbe M. “ On Sound Transmission into An Orthotropic Infinite Shell: Comparison With Koval's Results and Understanding of Phenomena ” Journal of Sound and Vibration 150 233 243 1991
- Tang Yvette Y. Robinson Jay H. Silcox Richard J. “ Sound Transmission Through A Cylindrical Sandwich Shell With Honeycomb Core ” 34 th AIAA Aerospace Science Meeting and Exhibit (AIAA-96-0877) 1 10 1996
- Lee J. H. Kim J. “ Exact Calculation of The Transmission Loss of An Infinite Shell Enclosing A Cylindrical Cavity ” Journal of Sound and Vibration
- Lee J. H. Kim J. “ Analysis and Measurement of Sound Transmission Through A Double-Walled Cylindrical Shell ” Journal of Sound and Vibration
- Lee J. H. Kim J. “ Simplified Analysis Method To Solve Sound Transmission Through Structures Lined With Elastic Porous Material Part I: Development of the Method ” J. Acoust. Soc. Am.
- Lee J. H. Kim J. Kim H. J. “ Sound Transmission Through A Cylindrical Double-Walled Shell Sandwiching Porous Material ” 2001 SAE Noise & Vibration Conference Grand Traverse Traverse City, MI 2001
- Kinsler Lawrence E. Frey Austin R. Coppens Alan B. Sanders James V. Fundamentals of Acoustics New York John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1982
- Soedel Werner Vibrations of Shells and Plates New York Marcel Dekker, Inc 1993
- Morse M. Ingard K. Uno Theoretical Acoustics New York McGraw-Hill 1968
- Bolton J. S. Shiau N. -M. Kang Y. J. “ Sound Transmission Through Multi-Panel Structures Lined With Elastic Porous Materials” Journal of Sound and Vibration 191 317 347 1996
- Biot M. A. “ Theory of Propagation of Elastic Waves in a Fluid-Saturated Porous Solid. I. Low-Frequency Range. II. Higher Frequency Range ” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 28 168 191 1956
- Pierce A. D. Acoustics New York McGraw-Hill 1981
- Mulholland K. A. Parbrook H. D. Cummings A. “ The Transmission Loss of Double Panels ” Journal of Sound and Vibration 6 324 334 1967
- Cremer L. Heckl M. Ungar E. E. Structure-Borne Sound Berlin Springer-Verlag 1973
- Fahy F. J. “ Measurement of Acoustic Intensity Using the Cross-Spectral Density of Two Microphone Signals ” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 62 1057 1059 1977
- Chung J. Y. Blaser D. A. “ Transfer Function Method of Measuring In-Duct Acoustic Properties. I. Theory and II. Experiment ” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 68 907 921 1980
- Fiala Walter T. Hilliard J. K. Renkus J. A. Van Houten John J. “ Electropneumatic Acoustic Generator ” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 38 956 964 1965