This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Vehicle Driveline Vibrations Using Genetic Algorithm (GA)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 30, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Low frequency longitudinal vibrations resulting from driver throttle inputs are a common problem in modern passenger cars. This phenomenon, which is commonly referred to as shuffle or shunt, is due to sudden changes in the engine torque exciting torsional oscillations in the driveline.
This paper presents a dynamic model of a vehicle driveline for the optimization of low frequency torsional vibration. The model used is first validated against experimental tests. Parameter sensitivity studies have been carried out using the model to identify the important components affecting shuffle. Three key parameters have been chosen from the parameter study.
To optimize these key factors, Genetic Algorithms (GAs) have been used in this multi-parameter optimization problem. The results obtained from GAs have been compared with the calculus based optimization techniques.
CitationFarshidianfar, A. and Ebrahimi, M., "Optimization of Vehicle Driveline Vibrations Using Genetic Algorithm (GA)," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1511, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1511.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
- Farshidianfar, A. Ebrahimi, M. Rahnejat, H. Menday, M. T. “Low frequency torsional vibration of vehicular driveline systems in shuffle” Multi-body Dynamics: Monitoring and Simulation Techniques - II MEP Publication 2000 269 282
- Farshidianfar, A. Ebrahimi, M Bartlett, H Moavenian, M “Manufacturing Parameter Variation in Automotive Driveline” Advanced Manufacturing Processes System and Technologies International Conference MEP Publication 1999 143 152
- Vanderplaats, G. N. “ Numerical Optimization Techniques for Engineering Design : with applications” McGraw-Hill, Inc. New York 1984
- Goldberg, D. E. “ Genetic algorithms in search optimization and machine learning .” Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. Reading Massachusetts 1989
- Hsieh, C. C. Oh, K. P. “A Minimization Study of Automotive Driveline Vibration” 40 Advanced Automotive Technologies 1991 525 537
- Rooke, G. S. Crossley, P. R. Chan, E. A. “Computer Modeling of a Vehicle Powertrain for Driveability Development” IMechE Report 1995 1 9
- Stuecklschwaiger, W. Ronacher, A. W. “Optimization of Vehicle Drive Train Vibrations Using Computation Techniques” IMechE paper 1994 31 39
- Menday, M. T. “Torsional impact in an automotive vehicle driveline” MSc Thesis University of Bradford 1997 UK
- Holland, J. H. “ Nonlinear environments permitting efficient adaptation ” Tou J. T. Computer and Information Sciences-II New York Academic Press 1967
- Holland, J. H. “ Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems ” University of Michigan Press Ann Arbor 1975
- Coley, D. A. “ An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms for Scientists and Engineers ” World Scientific First 1999
- Michalewicz, Z. “ Genetic Algorithms + Data structures = Evolution programs ” AI Series Springer-Verlag New York 1994
- Nelder, J. A. Mead, R. “A simplex method for function minimization” Computer Journal 7 1965 308 313
- Grefenstette, J. J. “Optimisation of control parameters for genetic algorithms” Genetic algorithms, Buckles, B. P. Petry, E. IEEE Computer Society Press 1992 5 11
- Wrigth, A. H. “Genetic Algorithm for Real Parameter Optimisation” Foundation of Genetic Algorithms First Workshop on the Foundation of Genetic Algorithms and Classifier Systems Rawlins G. Morgan Kanfinann Publishers San Mateo, CA 1991 205 218
- Davis, L. “ Handbook of Genetic Algorithms ” Van Nostrand Reinhold New York 1991