This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Research on Lean Combustion Control of Prechamber-type Stratified-Charge SI Automobile Engine with Low Nox/Fuel Consumption
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This paper analyzes quantitatively mechanisms and its effects of reducing simultaneously NOx/fuel-consumption taking the focus on torch-jet lean combustion control modeling in a pre-chamber type stratified-charge approach with actual Honda CVCC engine test examples.
For analyzing the NO x /fuel consumption reduction mechanism and effects, so-called phenomenological modeling centering around torch-flame-jet behavior are examined with varying the design factors such as auxiliary chamber volume/torch nozzle area.
Then, main physical features and those characteristics of torch-flame-jet such as the combustion pressure rise histories in pre-chamber, penetration length/volume/speed of torch-jet in lean mixture of main chamber, lean mixture shear-flow entrainment and turbulence enhancing effects induced by torch-jet are computed with numerical methods and those various effects for the lean ignition/combustion are examined.
Finally, verifications are attempted by comparison with real engine tested results which specific CO/HC/NOx, fuel-consumption in[gr/PSi-hr] are measured with varying design factors such as pre-chamber volume/torch nozzle area, and trends coincidence are verified sufficiently with computational results.
CitationUkawa, H., "A Research on Lean Combustion Control of Prechamber-type Stratified-Charge SI Automobile Engine with Low Nox/Fuel Consumption," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1337, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1337.
- Ricardo, Harry. R. “Recent Research Work on the Internal-Combustion Engine” The Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers, Annual Meeting Paper May 1922 England
- Tayler, C. F. “The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice” 1 The Technology Press of The MIT and Jone Wiley & Sons, Inc. NY & London 31 34 1960
- Pye. D. R. “The Internal Combustion Engine” 1 1937
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” 571 1988
- Date, T. Nomura, T. “Research and Development of the Carburater for the CVCC Engine” SAE paper 800507
- Date, T. Yagi, S. Ishizuya, A. Fujii, I. “Research and Development of the Honda CVCC Engine” SAE paper 740605
- Schlichting, H. “Boundary-Layer Theory” Kestin, J. Dr. 7th 1975 749
- Andrews, G. E. Bradley, D. Lwakabamba, S. B. “Turbulence and Turbulent Flame Propagation - A Critical Appraisal” Combustion and Flame” 24-3 285 304 1975
- Beer, J. M. Chigier, N. A. “Combustion Aerodynamics” 1972
- Wakuri, Y. Fujii, M. Amitani. T. Tsuneya, R. “Studies on the Penetration of Fuel Spray of Diesel Engine” Translation(Part 2) of Japan Soc. of Mec. Engrs. 25 156 820 826 August 1959
- Hires, S. D. Ekchian, A. Haywood, J. B. Tabachinski, R. J. Wall, J. C. “Performance and NOx Emissions Modeling of a Jet Ignition Pre-chamber Stratified Charge Engine” SAE paper 760161