This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LEV II Applications Based on a Lean Start Calibration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This paper compares and discusses the impact of conventional and improved start strategies on the design of the exhaust aftertreatment system.
It is recognised that hardware measures on the exhaust side will not be sufficient if Volvo's 5 and 6 cylinder engines are to fulfil SULEV emission levels, assuming passive three way systems only. A new start strategy, providing an excessive heat profile combined with low engine out hydrocarbon emissions, was therefore developed. Temperature profiles, raw emissions and mass flow obtained with the Lean Start Calibration will be shown for the 5 and 6 cylinder engines, both naturally aspirated as turbo.
The remaining part of the paper presents a brief history of the exhaust aftertreatment design modifications for Volvo's 5 cylinder N/A engine fulfilling LEV, ULEV I, ULEV II and PZEV emission levels respectively. The impact of the new start strategy on the cold start performance will be shown. The results will demonstrate the potential of an under floor only system for ULEV II emission levels and a close coupled cascade plus under floor system for PZEV emission levels when the new start strategy is applied. The effect of design parameters such as substrate choice, catalyst volume, … as well as the effect of ageing (both temperature and poisoning), on the cold start and the hot phase emissions will be discussed.
CitationAcke*, F. and Marsh, P., "LEV II Applications Based on a Lean Start Calibration," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1311, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1311.
- Otto, E. Albrecht, F. Liebl, J. “The development of BMW Catalyst Concepts for LEV/ULEV and EU III/IV Legislations 6 Cylinder Engine with Close Coupled Main Catalyst” SAE-Paper 980418 1998
- Hu, Z. Heck, R.M. “High Temperature Ultra Stable Close-Coupled Catalysts” SAE-Paper 950254 1995
- Kitagawa, H. Mibe, T. Okamatsu, K. Yasui, Y. “L4-Engine Development for a Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle” SAE-Paper 2000-01-0887 2000
- Nishizawa, K. Momoshima, S. Koga, M. Tsuchida, H. “Development of New Technologies Targeting Zero Emissions for Gasoline Engines” SAE-Paper 2000-01-0890 2000
- Darr, S.T. Choksi, R.A. Hubbard, C.P. Johnson, M.D. McCabe, R.W. “Effects of Oil-Derived Contaminants on Emissions from TWC-Equipped Vehicles” SAE-Paper 2000-01-1881 2000
- Beck, D.D. Sommers, J.W. DiMaggio, C.L. Monroe, D.R. Frank, D.A. “Impact of Oil-Derived Catalyst Poisons on FTP Performance of LEV Catalyst Systems” SAE-Paper 972842 1997