This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Proactive Design Development Process - An Automotive Example of Door Glass Guidance Mechanism
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
Today's competitive market requires new products to have extremely high Quality; customer expectation demands it. Testing, Validation, Setting Requirements, Failure Mode & Effect Analysis (FMEA), and Design Reviews by themselves do not improve a product; they only provide information that has to be translated into Design/Manufacturing & Service tasks. The quality of these tasks determines how well the new product will perform at its introduction. This paper outlines a generic Development Process through the use of an automotive example for a Door Glass Guidance Mechanism. This process includes the fundamental steps involving recommendations for setting requirements, benchmarking, and a methodology on how to design in requirements through the use of analytical and experimental tools to create Robust Designs. Also included are examples of Validation and Assessment Plans that are requirement driven. The details of this example are based on the development of a Glass Guidance Mechanism for a future GM Program. Due to proprietary information, only sufficient details are included to show implementation of this process.
CitationHerbert, L., "A Proactive Design Development Process - An Automotive Example of Door Glass Guidance Mechanism," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1304, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1304.
- O'Connor Pat Practical Reliability Engineering John Wiley Third October 1997 New York, N.Y.
- Chan H. Anthony Parker T. Paul 1998 Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium 1998 A R & M S
- Reinertsen Donald E. Product Development---Mythology of Speed Machine Design March 26 1992 47 50
- Herbert Lalit K. Reliability Growth Management Within A Car Development Program---A Case History SAE Paper # 870275 1987
- Shainin Testing Techniques Dorian Shainin Peter ASQC's 41 st Annual Congress May 3 1987 Minneapolis, MN
- Introduction to Quality Engineering Taguchi Genichi Asian Productivity Organization,Kraus International Publications 1996 White Plains, New York, N.Y.
- Improved Total Development Process Clausing Don P.. Dr. Xerox Corporation Webster New York, 14580 Taguchi Methods ASI, Center for Taguchi Methods April 15 1995
- Continuous Improvement: Quality Control Circles in Japanese Industry Center for Japanese Studies, the University of Michigan 1989 255 288
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 1998 http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recall_links.html