This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Deforming Droplet Model for Fuel Spray in Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
A three-dimensional numerical model has been developed to predict spray formation process of swirl or slit type injectors which are currently used in direct-injection gasoline engines. The Discrete Droplet Model (DDM) is totally enhanced: a new droplet deformation model is developed, which is theoretically introduced with a spheroidal shape assumption. The droplet drag model and droplet break-up model via Kelvin-Helmholtz and Rayleigh-Taylor instabilities are modified taken into account with the deformation. The break-up model parameters are dynamically changed according to a droplet Weber number. The model functions are developed using single droplet breakup measurement data. A liquid sheet injection and breakup models are incorporated into the DDM. A new parcel radius model is also introduced to get rid of the grid dependence of the droplet collision-coalescence model.
The present submodels aremore general because there are no special model constants and boundary conditions to be changed according to ambient conditions.
The calculations of swirl and fan sprays are compared with the measurements. The swirl spray angle decreasing under high ambient pressure, which is difficult for conventional models to predict, is simulated very well in the calculations. The good agreement is also obtained for the fan spray formation.
CitationNagaoka, M. and Kawamura, K., "A Deforming Droplet Model for Fuel Spray in Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1225, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1225.
- Tanada, H. et al. “Spray Behavior in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” Progress of Fuel Spray in Engine , JSME short course 1996 31 39
- Miok, J. et al. “Numerical Prediction of Charge Distribution in a Lean Burn Direct-Injection Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper ., No. 970626 1997
- Nomura, Y. et al. “Prediction of Mixture Formation in the Cylinder of DI Gasoline Engine” Proc. JSME Meeting (III) 1998 513 514
- Naitoh, K. Takagi, Y. “Synthesized Spheroid Particle (SSP) Method for Calculating Spray Phenomena in Direct-Injection SI Engines” SAE Paper ., No. 962017 1996
- Han, Z. et al. “Multidimensional Modeling of Spray Atomization and Air-Fuel Mixing in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper ., No. 970884 1997
- Xu, M. Markle, L. E. “CFD-Aided Development of Spray for an Outwardly Opening n Direct Injection Gasoline Injector” SAE Paper ., No. 980493 1998
- Dombrowski, N. Johns, W.R. “The aerodynamic instability and disintegration of viscous liquid sheets” Chem. Engr. Sci. 18 1963 203 214
- Dombrowski, N. Hooper, P.C. “The effect of ambient density on drop formation in sprays” Chem. Engr. Sci. 17 1962 291 305
- Dombrowski, N. Hasson, D. Ward, D.E. Chem. Engr. Sci. 12 1960 35 50
- Kawamura, K. Saitoh, A. Ochi, T. Yanagida, A. “Effect of Dissolved Gas in Water on Atomization” Proc. 4th Sympo. Liquid Atomization 1995 267 272
- Morita, S. Fujimoto, I. Senda, J. Fujimoto, H. “Prediction of Spray Droplet Diameter from Fuel Injector in the Suction Manifold” Atomization 5-2 10 1996 19 27
- Pilch, M. Erdman, C.A. “Use of Breakup Time Data and Velocity History Data to Predict the Maximum Size of Stable Fragments for Acceleration-Induced Breakup of a Liquid Drop” J. Multiphase Flow 13-6 1987 741 757
- Liu, A.B. Mather, D. Reitz, R.D. “Modeling the Effects of Drop Drag and Breakup on Fuel Sprays” SAE Paper , No. 930072 1993
- Su, T.F. Patterson, M.A. Reitz, R.D. Farrell, P.V. “Experimental and Numerical Studies of High Pressure Multiple Injection Sprays” SAE Paper , No. 960861 1996
- O'Rourke, P.J. Amsden, A.A. “The Tab Method for Numerical Calculation of Spray Droplet Breakup” SAE Paper , No. 872098 1987
- Ibrahim, E.A. “Modeling of Spray Droplets Deformation and Breakup” J. Propulsion 9-4 1993 651 654
- Hoerner, S. F. FLUID-DYNAMIC DRAG 1965
- Nagaoka, M. “Nonlinear Spheroidal Oscillating Model for a Single Droplet with Aerodynamic Force” Trans. JSME B 66-647 2000
- Amsden, A.A. O'Rourke, P.J. Butler, T.D. “KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays” Los Alamos National Laboratory Rep. 1989
- Patterson, M.A. Reitz, R.D. “Modeling the Effects of Fuel Spray Characteristics on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emission” SAE Paper , No. 980131 1998
- Reitz, R.D. “Modeling Atomization Process in High Pressure Vaporizing Sprays” Atomization and Spray Tech. 3 1989 309 337
- O'Rourke, P.J. Bracco, F.V. “Modeling of Drop Interactions in Thick Sprays and a Comparison with Experiments” IMechE., C404/80 1980 101 116
- Lefebvre, A. H. Atomization and Sprays Hemisphere Publishing Corp. New York 1989
- Koike, M. et al. “Research and Development of a New Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper , No. 2000-01-0530 2000
- Kanda, M. et al. “Application of a New Combustion Concept to Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper , No. 2000-01-0531 2000
- Takeda, K. Sugimoto, T. Tsuchiya, T. Ogawa, M. Ueda, S. Yoneshige, K. “Slit Nozzle Injector for a New Concept of Direct Injection SI Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper , No. 2000-01-1902 2000
- Nagaoka, M. et al. “Numerical Analysis of Fuel Behavior in a Port-Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper , No. 970878 1997
- Roe, P.L. “Approximate Rieman Solvers, Parameter Vectors, and Difference Schemes” J. Comp. Phys. 43-375 1981
- Anderson, W.K. Thomas, J.L. van Leer, B. “Comparison of Finite Volume Flux Vector Splitting for the Euler Equations” AIAA J. 24-9 1985
- Kawamura, K. Saitoh, A. Ochi, T. Tanasawa, Y. “Measurement of Fuel Concentration in Sprays by Laser Light Computed Tomography” Proc. 4th ICLASS 1988 311 316
- Kawamura, K. Saitoh, A. Kanda, M. Kasiwamura, T. Yamamoto, Y. “Spray Characteristics of Slit Nozzle for DI Gasoline Engines” Proc. 16th IC Engine Sympo. 2000