This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evolution of Intake Design for a Small Engine Formula Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
To obtain a maximum range for usable torque, Helmholtz theory is utilized to tune an Honda CBR 600 cc engine. The design objectives were to: 1) Increase performance by reducing pressure losses in the entire intake system; 2) Maximize the restrictor's design to increase airflow at lower pressure drops; 3) Improve throttle response through throttle body design and reduction of turbulence when full open; 4) Utilize runner design to improve tuning effects as predicted by Helmholtz resonance theory and; 5) Incorporate a plenum design with equal air distribution to all four cylinders.
|Technical Paper||Design of a Restricted Induction System for a High Speed Four Cylinder Engine|
|Technical Paper||Intake System Design for a Formula SAE Application|
|Technical Paper||Synthesis of a Formula SAE Engine|
CitationJawad, B., Lounsbery, A., and Hoste, J., "Evolution of Intake Design for a Small Engine Formula Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1211, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1211.
- Jawad, Badih A. Degain, Michael D. Young, Anthony P., Jr. ‘Design of a Restricted Induction System for a High Speed Four Cylinder Engine’ SAE 2000-01-3090
- Jameson, Renee T. Hodgins, Patrick A. ‘Improvement of the Torque Characteristics of a Small, High-Speed Engine Through the Design of Helmholtz-Tuned Manifolding’ SAE 900680
- Engelman, H.W. ‘Design of a Tuned Intake Manifold’ A.S.M.E. Paper 73-WA/DGP-2 1973
- Sches, Celine Guilian, Stephane ‘Modeling of the Fuel Behavior in the Intake Manifold of a Port-Injected Spark-Ignition Engine’ SAE 972992
- Eversman, Walter White, John A., Jr. ‘Acoustic Modeling and Optimization of Induction System Components,’ SAE 951261
- Plint, Michael Martyr, Anthony “Engine Testing: Theory and Practice,” 93 161 2nd Society of Automotive Engineers 1999
- Blair, Gordon P. “Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines,” Society of Automotive Engineers 1999
- Moran, Michael J. Shapiro, Howard N. “Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics,” 423 441 3rd John Wiley and Sons 1995
- Pulkrabek, Williard W. “Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine,” Prentice-Hall Inc. 1997
- 1993 LTU FSAE Team “1993 Formula SAE Final Report,” Lawrence Technological University Southfield, Michigan
- 1995 LTU FSAE Team “1995 Formula SAE Final Report,” Lawrence Technological University Southfield, Michigan
- 1999 LTU FSAE Team “1999 Formula SAE Final Report,” Lawrence Technological University Southfield, Michigan