This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evolution of Intake Design for a Small Engine Formula Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
To obtain a maximum range for usable torque, Helmholtz theory is utilized to tune an Honda CBR 600 cc engine. The design objectives were to: 1) Increase performance by reducing pressure losses in the entire intake system; 2) Maximize the restrictor's design to increase airflow at lower pressure drops; 3) Improve throttle response through throttle body design and reduction of turbulence when full open; 4) Utilize runner design to improve tuning effects as predicted by Helmholtz resonance theory and; 5) Incorporate a plenum design with equal air distribution to all four cylinders.
|Technical Paper||Design of a Restricted Induction System for a High Speed Four Cylinder Engine|
|Technical Paper||Intake System Design for a Formula SAE Application|
|Technical Paper||Synthesis of a Formula SAE Engine|
CitationJawad, B., Lounsbery, A., and Hoste, J., "Evolution of Intake Design for a Small Engine Formula Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1211, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1211.
- Jawad, Badih A., Degain, Michael D., and Young, Anthony P., Jr., ‘Design of a Restricted Induction System for a High Speed Four Cylinder Engine’, SAE 2000-01-3090
- Jameson, Renee T., and Hodgins, Patrick A., ‘Improvement of the Torque Characteristics of a Small, High-Speed Engine Through the Design of Helmholtz-Tuned Manifolding’, SAE 900680
- Engelman, H.W., ‘Design of a Tuned Intake Manifold’, A.S.M.E. Paper 73-WA/DGP-2, 1973
- Sches, Celine, and Guilian, Stephane, ‘Modeling of the Fuel Behavior in the Intake Manifold of a Port-Injected Spark-Ignition Engine’, SAE 972992
- Eversman, Walter, and White, John A., Jr., ‘Acoustic Modeling and Optimization of Induction System Components,’ SAE 951261
- Plint, Michael, and Martyr, Anthony, “Engine Testing: Theory and Practice,” P; 93-161, 2nd Edition, Society of Automotive Engineers, 1999
- Blair, Gordon P., “Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines,” Ch; 2, Society of Automotive Engineers, 1999
- Moran, Michael J., and Shapiro, Howard N., “Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics,” P; 423-441, 3rd Edition, John Wiley and Sons, 1995
- Pulkrabek, Williard W., “Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine,” Ch; 5, Prentice-Hall Inc., 1997
- 1993 LTU FSAE Team, “1993 Formula SAE Final Report,” Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, Michigan.
- 1995 LTU FSAE Team, “1995 Formula SAE Final Report,” Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, Michigan.
- 1999 LTU FSAE Team, “1999 Formula SAE Final Report,” Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, Michigan.