This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Spark Discharge Energy on The Combustion Process In The Engine Fuelled With Natural Gas
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The article reports the result of investigations of a single cylinder engine fuelled with natural gas and fitted with an Increased Discharge Energy (IDE) Ignition System. The aim of investigation was to describe the influence of the ignition discharge energy value on the heat release function in the natural gas fuelled engine.
The paper reports the simplified functional model of ignition system with increased discharge energy.
Based on changes of indicated pressure in the combustion chamber and by using combustion model, the heat release function in relation to the selected feeding parameters, such as Ignition Advance Angle (IAA) and Excess Air Number (EAN), was defined.
The influence of ignition discharge energy on engine cycle variability was also tested.
The research proved the improvement of engine work parameters with increased energy of ignition spark.
CitationGolec, K., Papuga, T., Makowski, M., and Markiewicz, T., "Influence of Spark Discharge Energy on The Combustion Process In The Engine Fuelled With Natural Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1188, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1188.
- Dale J. Smy P. Clements R. “Laser ignited internal combustion engine - an experimental study” SAE - Paper 780328
- Quader A A. “Lean Combustion and the Misfire Limit in Spark Ignition Engines” SAE - Paper 741055
- Daily J. W. “Cycle - to - cycle Variations: A Chaotic Process” SAE - Paper 870165
- Keck J. Heywood J. B. Noske G. „Early Flame Development and Burning Rates in Spark Ignition Engines and Their Cyclic Variability„ SAE - Paper 870164
- Hall M. J. “The Influence of Fluid Motion on Flame Kernel Development and Cyclic Variation in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE - Paper 890991
- Clements R. M. “Review of plasma jet ignition” The Chemistry of Combustion Process The American Chemical Society Washington 1984
- Pitt P. L. Clements R. M. „The effects of Plasma Jet Ignition on a Methane Fuelled Internal Combustion Engine” Comb. Sci. and Tech. 30 1983
- Tozzi L. Dabora E. K. “Plasma jet ignition in a lean-burn CFR engine” Nineteenth Symposium on Combustion Pittsburg 1982
- Edwards C. F. Dale J. D. Oppenheim A. K. “A Comparative Study of Plasma IgnitionSystem” SAE Papier No. 830479
- Ridley J. D. Pitt i P. L. Clements R. M. “High Energy Ignition Systems” Transportation Energy Report 1986
- Golec. K. Makowski M. Papuga T. “Determination of heat release function in natural gas fuelled engines based upon pressure process in the working space” IX International Scientific Meeting MVM' 96 Motor Vehicles And Engines Kragujevac 1996
- Roberts J. B. Jones J. C. Peyton Landsborouhh K. J. “Cylinder Pressure Variations as a Stochastic Process” SAE Paper 1997 No. 970059
- Roberts J. B. Jones J. C. Peyton Landsborouhh K. J. “Estimation of a StochasticModel for Cycle-by-Cycle Variations in Cylinder Pressure Measurements from a Spark Ignition Engine” University of Sussex 1997