This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Elastomer Service Life Prediction in Organic Acid Coolants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The objective of this test program was to review the potential physical and chemical changes of four candidate elastomers in engine coolant service. The glycol-carboxylic acid inhibitor technology coolant was selected due to its frequent use and appearance of being more environmentally acceptable as compared to currently used inorganic inhibitors. Within the limits of the test program, we reviewed physical aging using o-ring seals (ASTM D1414) and compressive stress relaxation. The chemical changes were monitored by reviewing surface changes (Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy, FTIR) using attenuated total reflectance (ATR) and dynamic mechanical and rheological testing/thermal analysis, DMRT, which should reflect bulk property changes due to chemical attack.
CitationHertz, D., Farinella, A., and Bussem, H., "Elastomer Service Life Prediction in Organic Acid Coolants," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1179, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1179.
- Hertz, D. L. Jr. Bussem, H. Farinella, A.C. “Long-Term Serviceability of Elastomers in Modern Engine Coolants,” Fourth Symposium on Engine Coolants Beal R. American Society for Testing and Materials 1997
- Hertz, D. L. Jr. Bussem, H. Farinella, A.C. “Long-Term Testing of Base Resistant Elastomers (BRE) Suitable for Power Cylinder Systems,” SAE World Congress 2000 , Paper ID # 2000-01-0923
- Hertz, D. L. Jr. Bussem, H. Farinella, A.C. Fluoroelastomers and Modern Engine Fluids meeting of the Rubber Division American Chemical Society April 2000
- Smith, Brian Infrared Spectral Interpretation: A Systematic Approach New York, NY CRC Press 1999
- Larock, Richard C. Comprehensive Organic Transformations 2nd Ed. New York, NY Wiley-VCH 1999
- Freakley, P. K. Payne, A. R. Theory and Practice of Engineering with Rubber Essex, England Applied Science Publishers Ltd. 1978
- Harwood, H.J. “Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) and Fluorocarbon (FKM) Elastomers in the Geothermal Environment,” Journal of Testing and Evaluation JTEVA 11 4 July 1983 289 298
- Hertz, D. L. Jr. Elastomers and Aging Rubber World December 1994
- Hertz, D. L. Jr. #Rubber Under Strain: An Engineering Approach Elastomerics December 1991
- Page, Nigel Elastomeric Seal Failure Analysis ERG 1998 Educational Symposium Galveston, TX September 1998
- Peacock, C. #Quality Control Testing of Rubber Shear Modulus Elastomerics May 1992