This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Six Sigma Quality: Points and Counterpoints
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
“Six Sigma” quality is a buzzword in the quality community throughout the world. “Six Sigma” quality is defined as achieving reduction in the variation which allows for a ± 1.5 sigma shift (Harry Mikel 1997). It is also described as a philosophy, methodology, and a breakthrough strategy to solve problems. This paper presents an in-depth examination into the heads and tails of the “six-sigma quality” concept. The objective is to become better informed about the benefits of six-sigma quality. Actual examples and case studies illustrate its merits and warn against limitations and misuses. The ultimate objective is to understand six-sigma quality and place it in an appropriate context to reap the benefits.
|Technical Paper||Six Sigma in the Service Industry|
|Technical Paper||The Relationship between ISO 9001:2000 and Design for Six Sigma (DFSS)|
|Technical Paper||Lean Design and Cost of Quality: Voids in Six Sigma Deployment Efforts|
CitationBajaria, H., "Six Sigma Quality: Points and Counterpoints," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1116, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1116.
- Mikel Harry 1997 The Vision of Six Sigma Tri Star Publishing Phoenix, Arizona
- Mikel Harry May 1998 Six Sigma: A breakthrough Strategy for Profitability Quality Progress Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Ten Deutsche Marks
- Shewhart W 1931 Economic Control of Quality of Manufactured Product D. Van Nostrand Company New York, New York
- Deming, W. E. 1982 Out of Crisis MIT CAES Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Neave, H. R. 1990 The Deming Dimension SPC Press Knoxville, Tennessee
- Taguchi, Genichi 1986 Introduction to Quality Engineering Asian Productivity Organization Japan
- Tadikamalla, Pandu R. November 1994 The Confusion over Six-Sigma Quality Quality Progress Milwaukee Wisconsin
- Latzko, William J. 1995 Notes on the Six Sigma Concept
- Bajaria, H. Copp, R 1991 Statistical Problem Solving Multiface Publishing Company Garden City, Michigan
- Ward Automotive March 1999