This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation into Large Scale Unsteady Structures in the Wake of Real and Idealized Hatchback Car Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
There are many aspects of the unsteady flow around fastback passenger cars that remain to be understood. These include the source and nature of unsteady flow structures, the relevant time-scales, the effect of geometric parameters and the impact of the unsteadiness in terms of steady and unsteady forces on the vehicle. This paper investigates large scale unsteady structures in the wake of the Ahmed form and of a scale model of a real car shape using two wind tunnels and model scales between 12.5% and 40%. The unsteadiness demonstrated only low coherence and weak periodicity and the Strouhal number of a given structure varied from tunnel to tunnel indicating a high sensitivity to external influences. Nevertheless, a novel visualization technique, used to display the results of time-accurate pressure probe measurements, was able to reveal structures involving both symmetric and anti-symmetric oscillations in the strength of the rear-pillar vortices. The unsteady flow structures and levels of fluctuation were very similar for different geometries, indicating that parameters such as radii on the vehicle surface may have surprisingly little impact on wake unsteadiness.
CitationSims-Williams, D., Dominy, R., and Howell, J., "An Investigation into Large Scale Unsteady Structures in the Wake of Real and Idealized Hatchback Car Models," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1041, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1041.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V110-6 ; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-6 ; Published: 2002-09-15
- Hamidy E., The Structure of Wakes of 3-D Bluff Bodies in Proximity to the Ground, PhD Theses, Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College, London, 1991.
- Duell E.G. and George A.R., Unsteady Near Wake Flows of Ground Vehicle Bodies, AIAA Paper 92-264-CP, AIAA 10th Applied Aerodynamics Conference, June 1992.
- Duell E.G. and George A.R., Experimental Study of a Ground Vehicle Body Unsteady Near Wake, SAE Paper 1999-01-0814 in SP -144, Vehicle Aerodynamics and Wind Noise, 1999.
- Berger E., Scholz D., Schumm M., Coherent Vortex Structures in the Wake of a Sphere and Circular Disk at Rest and Under Forced Vibrations, Journal of Fluids and Structures 4 pp231-257, 1990.
- Taneda S., Visual Observation of a Flow Past a Sphere at Re between 10000 and 1000000, Journal of Fluid Mechanics vol 85 part 1, 1978.
- Roberts J.B., Coherence Measurements in an Axisymmetric Wake, AIAA Journal 11, 1569-1571, 1973.
- Fuchs H.V., Mercker E., Michel U., Large Scale Coherent Structures in the Wake of Axisymmetric Bodies, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 93, 189-211. 1979.
- Cometta, An investigation of the unsteady flow pattern in the wake of cylinders and spheres, using a hot-wire probe. Brown University Eng. Tech. Report WT-21, 1957.
- Winant C.D. and Brownland F.K., Vortex Pairing: The Mechanism of Turbulent Mixing Layer Growth at Moderate Reynolds Number, Journal of Fluid Mechanics Vol 63, 1974.
- Goh E.K., An Experimental Study into the Time-Dependent Characteristics of a Road Vehicle Wake Flow, PhD Thesis, Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College, London, 1994.
- Nouzawa T., Hiasa K., Nakamura T., Kawamoto A., Sato H., Unsteady Analysis of the Aerodynamic Drag of Notchback Model with Critical Afterbody Geometry, SAE Paper 920202 in Vehicle Aerodynamics: Wake Flows, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Aerodynamic Testing SP908, 1992.
- Morel T., The Effect of Base Slant on the Flow Pattern and Drag of Three-Dimensional Bodies with Blunt End, Aeronautical Quarterly, vol 31, 1980.
- Xia X.J. and Bearman P.W., An Experimental Investigation of the Wake of an Axisymmetric Body with a Slanted Base, Aernautical Quarterly vol 34 pp24-45, 1983.
- Wang Q., Bearman P.W., Harvey J.K., A Study of Instantaneous Flow Structure Behind a Car by Particle Image Velocimetry, Optical Methods Data Processing Heat and Fluid Flow, IMechE, London, 1996.
- Ishihara Y. and Takagi M., Unsteady Pressure Analysis of the Wake Flow Behind a Passenger Car Model, SAE Paper 1999-01-0810 in SAE SP-1441, Vehicle Aerodynamics and Wind Noise, 1999.
- Bearman P.W., Near Wake Flows Behind Two-Dimensional and Three-Dimensional Bluff Bodies, Journal of Wind Engineering 69-71 pp33-54, 1997.
- Ahmed S.R., Ramm G., Faltin G., Some Salient Features of the Time-Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake, SAE Paper 840300, 1984.
- Howell J.P. and Le Good G., The Influence of Aerodynamic Lift on High Speed Stability, SAE Paper 1999-01-0651 in SP-1441, 1999.
- H.P.A.H, Irwin, Cooper K.R., Girard R., Correction of Distortion Effects Caused by Tubing Systems in Measurements of Fluctuating Pressures, Journal of Industrial Aerodynamics 5, 1979.
- Sims-Williams D.B. and Dominy R.G., Experimental Investigation into Unsteadiness and Instability in Passenger Car Aerodynamics, SAE Paper 980391 in Developments in Vehicle Aerodynamics (SAE SP-1318), 1998.
- Sims-Williams D.B. and Dominy R.G., The Validation and Application of a 5 Hole Pressure Probe with Tubing Transfer Correction for Time-Accurate Measurements in Unsteady Flows, Second MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics, Coventry, 20-21 October, 1998.
- Hooper J.D., Musgrove A.R., Reynolds Stress, Mean Velocity, and Dynamic Static Pressure Measurement by a Four-Hole Pressure Probe, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 15: 375-383, 1997.
- Sims-Williams D.B. and Dominy R.G., The Reconstruction of Periodic Pressure Fields from Point Measurements, SAE Paper 1999-01-0809 in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Wind Noise (SP-1441), 1999.
- Sims-Williams D.B., White A.J., Dominy R.G., Gurney Flap Aerodynamic Unsteadiness, Sports Engineering, Motorsport Edition, 1999.
- Crossland S.C., Sims-Williams D.B., Dominy R.G., The Reconstruction of Bluff-Body Unsteady Flow Fields, 9th International Symposium on Flow Visualization, Edinburgh, August 21st-24th, 2000.
- HowellJ.P., Shape and Drag. Euromotor Short Course ‘Using Aerodynamics to Improve the Properties of Cars’, FKFS, Stuttgart, 1998.
- Howell J.P., Wake Properties of Typical Road Vehicles, AIAA 2nd Symposium on Aerodynamics and Racing Cars, 1974.
- Harvey J.K., Perry F.J., Flowfield produced by trailing vortices in the vicinity of the ground. AIAA Jnl. Vol.9 No.8 1971.
- Squire L.C., Jones J.G., Stanbrook A., An Experimental Investigation of the Characteristics of some Plane and Cambered 65° Delta Wings at Mach Numbers 0.7 to 2.0, Aeronautical Research Council R&M No 3305, London, 1963.
- Payne F.M., Ng T.T., Nelson R.C., Visualization of Leading Edge Vortices on a Series of Flat Plate Delta Wings, NASA Contractor Report 4320, 1991.
- Gad-el-Hak M. and Blackwelder R.F., The Discrete Vortices from a Delta Wing, AIAA Journal, vol 23, no 6, pp961-962, 1985.
- Nguyen T.M., Saunders J.W., Watkins S., The Sideways Dynamic Force on Passenger Cars in Turbulent Winds, SAE Paper 970405 in SAE SP-1232, 1997.