This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Closed-Loop Control of an HCCI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This paper presents a strategy for closed-loop control of a multi cylinder turbo charged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engine. A dual fuel port injection system allows control of combustion timing and load individually for each cylinder. The two fuels used are isooctane and n-heptane, which provides a wide range of autoignition properties.
Cylinder pressure sensors provide feedback and information regarding combustion. The angle of 50% heat release is calculated in real time for each cycle and used for timing feedback.
Inlet air preheating is used at low loads to maintain a high combustion efficiency.
CitationOlsson, J., Tunestål, P., and Johansson, B., "Closed-Loop Control of an HCCI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1031, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1031.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion
Number: SP-1623; Published: 2001-03-05
Number: SP-1623; Published: 2001-03-05
- Onishi S: Hong Jo S. Shoda K. Do Jo P Kato S. “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE 790501
- Duret P. Venturi S. “Automotive Calibration of the IAPAC Fluid Dynamically Controlled Two-Stroke Combustion Process” SAE 960363
- Noguchi M. Tanaka Y. Tanaka T. Takeuchi Y. “A Study on Gasoline Engine Combustion by Observation of Intermediate Reactive Products during Combustion” SAE 790840
- Iida N. “Combustion Analysis of Methanol-Fueled Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) Engine Using a Spectroscopic Observation” SAE 940684
- Ishibashi Y. Asai M. “Improving the Exhaust Emissions of Two-Stroke Engines by Applying the Activated Radical Combustion” SAE 960742
- Gentili R. Frigo S. Tognotti L. Hapert P. Lavy J. “Experimental study of ATAC (Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion) in a Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine” SAE 970363
- Hultqvist A. Christensen M. Johansson B. Franke A. Richter M. Aldén M. “A Study of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process by Chemiluminescence Imaging” SAE 1999-01-3680
- Najt P. Foster D.E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE 830264
- Thring R.H. “Homogeneous-Charge Compression-Ignition (HCCI) Engines” SAE 892068
- Aoyama T. Hattori Y. Mizuta J. Sato Y. “An Experimental Study on Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine” SAE 960081
- Ryan T.W. Callahan T.J. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Diesel Fuel” SAE 961160
- Suzuki H. Koike N. Ishii H. Odaka M. “Exhaust Purification of Diesel Engines by Homogeneous Charge with Compression Ignition” SAE 970313 , SAE 970315
- Gray A. W. III Ryan T. W. III “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) of Diesel Fuel” SAE 971676
- Suzuki H. Koike N. Odaka M. “Combustion Control Method of Homogeneous Charge Diesel Engines” SAE 980509
- Seko T. Kuroda E. “Methanol Lean Burn in an Auto-Ignition Engine” SAE 980531
- Harada A. Shimazaki N. Sasaki S. Miyamoto T. Akagawa H. Tsujimura K. “The Effects of Mixture Formation on Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion” SAE 980533
- Christensen M. Einewall P. Johansson B. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Using Isooctane, Ethanol and Natural Gas - A Comparison to Spark Ignition Operation” SAE 972874
- Christensen M. Johansson B. Amnéus P. Mauss F. “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE 980787
- Christensen M. Johansson B. “Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE 982454
- Christensen M. Johansson B. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with Water Injection” SAE 1999-01-0182
- Stockinger M. Schäpertöns H. Kuhlmann P. 1992
- Olsson J.-O. Erlandsson O. Johansson B. “Experiments and Simulations of a Six-Cylinder Homogeneous Charge Compression (HCCI) Engine” SAE 2000-01-2867