This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving Combustion Process by Using a High Speed UV-Sensitive Camera
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The ever increasing demands on combustion engines with regard to exhaust emissions and fuel consumption require the use of modern analytical methods. Especially optical measurement techniques have contributed a lot to the realization of complicated engine concepts. The disadvantages of complex measurement techniques are the expenditure of time and the necessary changes of the engine.
This paper introduces a new practice oriented optical measurement technique with the aid of an example. With this technique it is possible to record the combustion process with a sampling rate of up to 200 kHz through a small drilling.
Even quick events like knocking can be recorded. The combustion luminosity is watched through a special UV-capable borescope, transmitted to an array of photoelectric transformers and finally recorded as a flame figure. We will show an SI-engine which is limited by knocking. Analyzing the optical images will show that the combustion process tends to burn to one side of the combustion chamber. It was possible to influence the combustion with flow corrections which resulted in a displacement of the knocking threshold and ultimately in a higher efficiency of the engine.
CitationWytrykus, F. and Duesterwald, R., "Improving Combustion Process by Using a High Speed UV-Sensitive Camera," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0917, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0917.
- Spicher, U., Schmitz, G., Kollmeier, H.-P.: Application of a New Optical Fiber Technique for Flame Propagation in IC Engines, SAE 881637
- Salvat, O.P., Cheng A.S., Cheng, W.K., Heywood, J.B. Flame Shape Determination Using an Optical-Fiber Spark Plug and a Head-Gasket Ionization Probe, Trans. SAE 103, Sec 4, 1993
- Witze, P.O., Hall, M.J., Bennett, M.J. Cycle Resolved Measurement of Flame Kernel Growth and Motion Correlation with Combustion Duration, Trans SAE 99, Sec. 4, 1990
- Nakagawa, Y., Takagi, Y., Ittho, T.; lijima, T. Laser Shadowgraphie Analysis of Knocking in SiEngine, XX FISITA Congress, SAE P-143, 845001, 1984
- Checkel, M.D., Ting, D.S.-K Measuring Flame Growth by Visualisation, SAE 920184, 1992
- Spicher, U. Detection of Knocking Combustion using simultaneously High-Speed Schlieren Cinematography and Multi-Optical Fiber Technique, SAE 91231, 1991
- Geiser, F., Wytrykus, F., Spicher, U. Combustion Control with the Optical Fiber Fitted Production Spark Plug, SAE 980139, 1998
- Aust, V., Zimmermann, G., Manz, P.-W:, Hentschel, W. Crank-Angle Resolved Temperature in SI Engines Measured by Emission-Absorption Spectroscopy, SAE 1999-01-3542, 1999
- Philip, H., Fernitz, G. Hirsch., Fraidl, G., Winkelhofer, E. A Tomographic Camera System for Combustion Diagnostics in SI Engines, SAE 950681, 1995
- Spicher, U. Combustion in Spark Ignition Engines with Direct Injection,SAE 2000-01-0649,2000