This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Crevice Flow in a Gas Engine using Laser-induced Fluorescence
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
We visualized behavior of crevice flows in a spark ignition gas engine by laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) of acetone and OH. The fuel used in this work was methane with 10 vol. % acetone vapor. Acetone acts as a LIF tracer for unburned fuel, and OH radical which exists naturally in hydrocarbon flames is used as a marker species of high temperature zones. This technique enables simultaneous tomographic observations of high temperature zones and unburned zones in engine cylinders, and the technique gives abundant information on oxidation process of fuel. A transparent engine whose cylinder wall was made of fused silica for observations and laser access was used for experiments. A crevice flow released from a crevice between a piston and a cylinder wall was visualized. In this work, we investigated effects of valve timing, back-pressure, and ignition timing. We found that behavior of the crevice flow changes suddenly at moment of exhaust valve opening. And we clarified that an exhaust blow-down affects the oxidation of the crevice flow.
CitationTamura, M., Sakurai, T., and Tai, H., "A Study of Crevice Flow in a Gas Engine using Laser-induced Fluorescence," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0913, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0913.
- Cheng, W. K., Hamrin, D., Heywood, J. B., Hochgreb, S., Min, K. and Norris, M., “An Overview of Hydrocarbon Emissions Mechanisms in Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE paper 932708, Fuel and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition, October 1993.
- Drake, M. C., Fansler, T. D. and French, D. T., “Crevice Flow and Combustion Visualization in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine Using Laser Imaging Techniques,” SAE paper 952454, Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exposition, October 1995.
- Swindal, J. C., Furman, P. A., Loiodice, M. E., Stevens, R. W., Liu, P. C. and Acker, W. P., “Fuel Distillation Effects on the Outgassing from a Simulated Crevice in a SI Engine Measured by Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence,” SAE paper 970825, International Congress & Exposition, February 1997.
- Wolff, D., Schlüter, H., Beushausen, V. and Andresen, P., “Quantitative Determination of Fuel Air Mixture Distributions in an Internal Combustion Engine using PLIF of Acetone,” Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. Vol 97, 1993, pp. 1738-1741.
- Wolff, D., Beushausen, V., Schlüter, H., Andresen, P., Hentschel, W., Manz, P. and Arndt, S., “Quantitative 2D-Mixture Fraction Imaging Inside An Internal Combustion Engine Using Aceton-Fluorescence,” Proceedings of The Third International Symposium COMODIA 94, 1994, pp. 445-451.
- Grossmann, F., Monkhouse, P. B., Ridder, M., Sick, V. and Wolfrum, J., “Temperature and pressure dependences of the laser-induced fluorescence of gas-phase acetone and 3-pentanone,” Appl. Phys. B 62, 1996, pp. 249-253.
- Yuen, L. S., Peters, J. E. and Lucht, R. P., “Pressure dependence of laser-induced fluorescence from acetone,” Appl. Opt. Vol 36, 1997, pp. 3271-3277.
- Thurber, M. C., Grisch, F., Kirby, B. J., Votsmeier, M. and Hanson, R. K., “Meausrements and modeling of acetone laser-induced fluorescence with implications for temperature-imaging diagnostics,” Appl. Opt. Vol 37, 1998, pp. 4963-4978.
- Thurber, M. C. and Hanson, R. K., “Pressure and composition dependences of acetone laser-induced fluorescence with excitation at 248, 266, and 308 nm,” Appl. Phys. B 69, 1999, pp. 229-240.
- Miller, M. F., Island, T. C., Yip, B., Bowman, C. T., Mungal, M. G. and Hanson R. K., “An Experimental Study of the Structure of a Compressible, Eacting Mixing Layer,” AIAA-93-0354, 31st Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit, January, 1993.
- Yip, B., Miller, M. F., Lozano, A. and Hanson R. K., “A combined OH/acetone planar laser-induced fluorescence imaging technique for visualizing combusting flows,” Exp. in Fluids, Vol 17, 1994 pp. 330-336.
- Miller, M. F., Island, T. C., Seitzman, J. M., Bowman, C. T., Mungal, M. G. and Hanson R. K., “An Experimental Investigation of Supersonic Reacting Mixing Layers,” AIAA-94-0823, 32nd Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit, January, 1994.