This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Improvement and Exhaust Emissions_Characteristics in a Direct Injection Natural Gas Engine by Throttling and Exhaust Gas Recirculation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
A natural gas direct injection test engine equipped with a newly developed natural gas injector was built. High total hydrocarbon (THC) emission at part-load and high NOx emission at high-load remain as problems for direct injection natural gas engines. THC reduction and combustion improvement by throttling and NOx reduction by EGR were investigated. The following results were obtained: (1) the combustion at light and medium load conditions is improved by throttling. It is possible to improve the thermal efficiency at light-load in spite of the pumping loss by throttling. THC emissions are greatly decreased in this condition; (2) a large NOx reduction can be obtained without combustion deterioration by appropriate EGR at high-load conditions; and (3) it is possible to decrease both THC and NOx emissions by both throttling and EGR at part-load conditions.
CitationGoto, Y. and Sato, Y., "Combustion Improvement and Exhaust Emissions_Characteristics in a Direct Injection Natural Gas Engine by Throttling and Exhaust Gas Recirculation," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0737, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0737.
- Ikegami et al. JSAE, 9307362 1993
- Sakai et al. Proceedings of JSAE 932 1993-
- Eeaver C. S. Natural gas vehicles-A review of the state of the art SAE 892133 1989
- Feature: Research and development of natural gas engines Internal combustion engine 32 399 January 1993
- Cartellieri W. P. et al. Mechanisms leading to stable and efficient combustion in lean burn gas engines COMODIA Yokohama 17 1994
- Goto et al. Research on combustion control in direct injection natural gas engines by two-stage injection JSME (Series B) 65 630 1999-
- GOTO Yuichi et al. NO x Reduction on Direct Injection Natural Gas Engines SAE 1999-01-3608 1999-