This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Underbody Aerodynamic Simulation Using Automatically Generated Tetrahedral and Prismatic Cells
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The aerodynamic characteristics of the vehicle underbody are one of the critical components to achieve efficient fuel-economical vehicles. On the other hand, computer memory and time make it difficult to make the complex geometry of the underbody of an actual vehicle including the engine room. In this paper, we have investigated a new CFD analysis method using the automatic tetrahedral/prismatic cell generation tools for the analysis of an underbody flow. The CFD analysis results are compared with experimental data. This new method also contributes to reducing the development term of the aerodynamics characteristics with underbody.
CitationOno, J., Murakami, Y., and Okumura, K., "Development of Underbody Aerodynamic Simulation Using Automatically Generated Tetrahedral and Prismatic Cells," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0704, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0704.
- Gillieron P. Samuel S. Chometon F. Potential of CFD in Analysis Under-Bonnet Airflow Phenomena SAE paper 1999-01-0802 '99
- Makowski F.T. Kim S.E. Advances in External-Aero Simulation of Ground Vehicles Using the Steady RANS Equations SAE paper 2000-01-0484 '00
- Okumura K. CFD Simulation by Automatically Generated Tetrahedral and Prismatic Cells for Engine Intake Duct and Coolant Flow in Three Days SAE paper 2000-01-29 4 '00
- Kohri I. Takeuchi T. Umemura K, Aerodynamic Design of Truck and Bus Using CAE Mitsubishi Motor Technical review No.9 '97
- Sumitani K. Shinohara T. Research on Aerodynamic Noise around Automobiles JSAE Proceedings, 9432859 '94