This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer Simulation of a Four-Stroke Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This paper introduces the preliminary simulation of a four-stroke spark ignition engine. An arbitrary heat release formula was used to predict the cylinder pressure, which was used to find out the indicated work done. The heat transfer from the cylinder, friction and pumping losses also were taken into account to predict the brake mean effective pressure, brake thermal efficiency and brake specific fuel consumption. Most of the parameters that can affect the performance of the four stroke spark ignition engines such as equivalence ratios, spark timing, heat release rate, compression ratios, compression index and expansion index are studied. The use of a real combustion curve has a profound influence on the similarity of the pressure-volume profile to that seen for the real engine. The modeling process is obviously getting closer to reality and is now worth pursuing as a design aid.
CitationAlla, G., "Computer Simulation of a Four-Stroke Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0578, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0578.
- Ferguson, C.R. Internal Combustion Engines-Applied Thermosciences John Wiley & Sons New York 1986
- Heywood, J.B. Watts, P.A. “ Parametric Studies of Fuel Consumption and NO Emissions of Dilute Spark-Ignition Engine Operation Using a Cycle Simulation ” Paper C98/79, IN Proceedings of Conference on Fuel Economy and Emissions of Lean Burn Engines Institution of Mechanical Engineers London 1979
- Blair, G.P. Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engine R-186, Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa. 1999
- Woschni, G. Fieger, J. “ Determination of local heat transfer coefficients at the piston of a high speed diesel Engine by Evaluation of Measured Temperature distribution ” SAE 790834 1979
- Annand, W. J.D. “ Heat transfer in the cylinders of Reciprocating Internal combustion Engies ” proc. I. Mech. E. 177 973 980 1963
- Branes-Moss, H.W. “A Designer's Viewpoint” Passenger Car Engines, Conference Proceedings 133 147 Institution of Mechanical Engineers London 1975
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988