This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exploring PVD Coatings for Cylinder Liner Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
A number of wear resistant coatings has been developed using physical vapor deposition(PVD) process. However this coating process has not yet been widely used in the automotive industry. The purpose of this work was to evaluate thin PVD coatings such as diamond like carbon doped with tungsten (W-DLC), molybdenum-disulfide doped with aluminum (MoS2-Al), and chrome nitride (CrN). Some of these coatings were previously found to have low friction, high wear resistance, or both when tested in unlubricated conditions. In the present work, the experiments were conducted using a Cameron-Plint apparatus in lubricated conditions. The ring counterfaces used were Cr-plated and gas-nitrided compression rings. Our data also indicated that some PVD coatings with thicknesses in the same order of magnitude as the surface roughness of the liners did show some improvement in liner wear resistance. The suitability of thin coatings for liner applications needs additional study. In addition, the process cannot be immediately applied to large diameter cylinders.
CitationKodali, P. and Stanley, N., "Exploring PVD Coatings for Cylinder Liner Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0573, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0573.
- Rastegar F. “Alternative to Chrome-HVOF Ceramic Coatings for High Horse Power Diesel Engines” Surface and Coatings Technology 156 163 1997
- Friedrich C. Berg G Broszeit E. Rick F. Holland J. “PVD Cr x N coatings for Tribological Application on Piston Rings” Surface and Coatings Technology 97 661 668 1997
- Bellido-Gonzalez V. Jones A.H.S. Hampshire J, Allen T.J. Witts J. Teer D.G. Ma K.J. Upton David “Tribological Behavior of High Performance MoS 2 Coatings Produced by Magnetron Sputtering” Surface and Coatings Technology 97 687 693 1997
- Bewilogua K. Dimigen H. “Preparation of W-C:H Coatings by Reactive Magnetron Sputtering ” Surface and Coatings Technology 144 149 1993
- Bewilogua K. Dimigen H. “Effect of Target Material on Deposition and Properties of Metal containing DLC Coatings” Surface and Coatings Technology 127 224 232 2000
- Yao S.H. Su Y.L. The Tribological Potential of CrN and Cr(CN) Deposited by Multi-arc PVD Process” Wear 212 85 94 1997
- Bienk E.J. Reitz H Mikkelsen N.J. Wear and Friction Properties of Hard PVD Coatings” Surface and Coatings Technology 76-77 475 480 1995