This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Cell Stack Water and Thermal Management: Impact of Variable System Power Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This paper deals with the analysis of a hydrogen-air fuel cell system based on a Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) fuel cell stack. The goal of the analysis is to understand the impact of stack water and thermal management on the system both during steady state and dynamic operations. The stack level study is done in terms of liquid and water vapor flows and distribution via a detailed stack water management model. An analysis of the stack and the system level implications of varying the anode saturation temperature is performed. It is shown that increasing the anode saturation temperature potentially enhances stack performance but need not improve system performance.
CitationBadrinarayanan, P., Ramaswamy, S., Eggert, A., and Moore, R., "Fuel Cell Stack Water and Thermal Management: Impact of Variable System Power Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0537, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0537.
- Eggert et al. “Water and Thermal Management of an Indirect Methanol Fuel Cell System for Automotive Applications” Proceedings of the 2000 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition American Society of Mechanical Engineers Orlando, Florida
- Friedman, D.J. et al. “PEM Fuel Cell System Optimization” Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Proton Conducting Membrane Fuel Cells II Gottesfeld S. et al. Electrochemical Society Pennington, NJ 1999
- Badrinarayanan, P. et al “Implications of Water and Thermal Management Parameters in the Optimization of an Indirect Methanol Fuel Cell System” 35 th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics July 2000 Paper # 2000-3046
- Springer et al. “Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Model” Journal of Electrochemical Society 138 8 2334 2342 1991
- Chato, J.C. “Laminar Condensation Inside Horizontal and Inclined Tubes” J. ASHRAE 4 2 1962
- Kroger, D. G. “Radiator Characterization and Optimization” 840380 93 SAE Transactions 1984 2.984 2.990
- Cunningham, J. M. et al. “A Comparison of High Pressure and Low-Pressure Operation of PEM Fuel Cell Systems” SAE 2001 World Congress March 5-8 2001 SAE# 2001-01-0538 SAE International Warrendale, PA
- Friedman, D. J. et al. “Balancing Stack Output, Air Supply, and Water and Thermal Management Demands for an Indirect Methanol Fuel Cell System” SAE 2001 World Congress March 5-8 2001 SAE# 2001-01-0535 SAE International Warrendale, PA