This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Balancing Stack, Air Supply, and Water/Thermal Management Demands for an Indirect Methanol PEM Fuel Cell System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
This work presents a method to maximize the net power output of an indirect methanol PEM fuel cell system. This method establishes an operating strategy for the air supply based on the stack, air supply and water and thermal management (WTM) sub-system characteristics - holding anode conditions constant. It is shown that operating strategies based on individual components result in the inefficient operation of the overall system. Inclusion of the WTM modifies the optimal operating conditions for both low and high pressure systems. However the results for high pressure show an efficiency gain through reducing air pressure and increasing airflow, the opposite of what is expected. This work also outlines the components and issues not included and their importance in system operation.
CitationFriedman, D., Eggert, A., Badrinarayanan, P., and Cunningham, J., "Balancing Stack, Air Supply, and Water/Thermal Management Demands for an Indirect Methanol PEM Fuel Cell System," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0535, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0535.
- Friedman D.J. and Moore R.M., PEM Fuel Cell System Optimization, Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Proton Conducting Membrane Fuel Cells, The Electrochemical Society, Inc., Pennington, NJ, 1998.
- Moore R.M., Friedman D.J., Burke A.F., in Proceedings of Commercializing FCVs '97, Frankfurt, Germany, October 20-22, 1997.
- Springer T. E., Wilson M. S., Gottesfeld S., J. Electrochem. Soc., 140, 3513 (1993).
- Springer T. E., Zawodzinski T.A., Wilson M. S., Gottesfeld S., J. Electrochem. Soc., 143, 587 (1996).
- Badrinarayanan, P., Eggert, A. and Hauer, K., “Implications of Water and Thermal Management Parameters in the Optimization of an Indirect Methanol Fuel Cell System”, 35th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, 24-28, July 2000, Paper # 2000-3046.
- Fronk M. H., et al, SAE 2000-01-0373.
- Barbir F., AES Vol. 39, pp. 305-315, (1999).
- Chato, J.C., “Laminar Condensation Inside Horizontal and Inclined Tubes”, J. ASHRAE, 4, 2, (1962).
- Kroger, D.G., “Radiator Characterization and Optimization”, No. 840380, vol. 93, SAE Transactions, (1984), pp.2.984-2.990.
- Springer T. E., et. al. Gottesfeld, J. Electrochem. Soc., (1991).
- Badrinarayanan, P., Ramaswamy, S., Eggert, A., and Moore, R.M., “Impact of Fuel Cell System Dynamic Operation on Stack Water and Thermal Management”, 2001 SAE World Congress, March 5-8, 2001, Detroit, Paper #2001-01-0537.