This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Pre- and Post-Injection on the Performance and Pollutant Emissions in a HD Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The work presented here focuses on the influence of pre- and post-injection on the development of the combustion process and on engine efficiency and pollutant emissions.
Tests were performed with a heavy-duty 1.8 litre single-cylinder engine. The study combines performance and emissions measurements together with heat release law analysis. Four representative operating conditions from the European Steady state test Cycle (ESC) have been considered. For each one, the fuel quantity of the pre- and post-injection has been varied between 12 and 20 mg/cc, and the delay of the pre- and post-injection respect to the main injection has been modified too.
With a pre-injection strategy it has been possible to reduce the fuel consumption with little soot penalty but causing an increase in NOx levels in most engine modes. The post-injection strategy has been demonstrated to be efficient in soot reduction without NOx emission and fuel consumption penalty.
CitationBenajes, J., Molina, S., and García, J., "Influence of Pre- and Post-Injection on the Performance and Pollutant Emissions in a HD Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0526, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0526.
- Herzog, P.L. Buerguer, L. Winklhofer, E. Zelenka, P. Cartellieri, W. “NO x Reduction Strategies for D.I. Diesel Engines” SAE 920470 1992
- Knecht, W. “Diesel Engine Technologies For Post 1996 Emission and Noise Standards” Proceedings 11 th European Automotive Symposium 177 188 Sorrento 1992
- Havenith, C. Needham, J.R. Nicol, A.J. Such, C.H. “Low Emission Heavy Duty Diesel Engine for Europe” SAE 932959 1993
- Athenstatedt, G Herzog P Noraberg J. “Combustion Improvement Potential Through the Use of Split Injection” CIMAC 1987 AVL List GmgH Austria 1987
- Dürnholz, M. Endres, H. Frisse, P. “Preinjection a Measure to Optimize the Emission Behavior of DI-Diesl Engine” SAE 940674 1994
- Nehmer, D. Reitz, R. “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injection on Diesel Engine Soot and NO x Emissions” SAE 940668 1994
- Tow, T. Pierpont, D. Reitz, D. “Reducing Particulate and NO x Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE 940897 1994
- Payri F. Desantes J.M. Leiva A. Armas O. “Thermodynamic Model for the Experimental Diagnostics of the Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engines. (In Spanish)” Proc. III Congreso Iberoamericano de Ingeniería Mecánica La Habana, Cuba 1997
- Lapuerta M. Armas O. Hernandez J.J. “Diagnostic of D.I. Diesel Combustion from In-Cylinder Pressure Signal by Estimation of Mean Thermodynamic Properties of the Gas,” Applied Thermal Engineering 5 513 519 1999
- Lapuerta M. Armas O. Bermúdez V. “Sensitivity of Diesel Engine Thermodynamic Cycle Calculation to Measurement Errors and Estimated Parameters” Applied Thermal Engineering 20 9 843 861 2000
- Ishida M. Ueki H. Matsumura N. Yamaguchi M. Luo G.F. “Diesel Combustion Analysis Based on Two Zone Model (Comparison Between Model Analysis and Experiment),” JSME Int. Journal 39 1 185 192 1996
- Desantes J.M. Arrègle J. Molina S. “Influence of the EGR Rate, Oxygen Concentration and Equivalent Fuel/Air Ratio on the Combustion Behaviour and Pollutant Emissions of a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2000-01-1813 2000
- Gaillard Ph. Hedna M. “Performance Development of the First European Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Equiped with Full Electronic High Injection Pressure Common Rail System” SAE Paper 2000-01-1821 2000
- Christian R. Knopf F. Jasmek A. Schindler W. “A New Method for the Filter Smoke Number Measurement with Improved Sensitivity. (In German)” MTZ 54 16 22 1993
- Ahmad T. Plee S.L. “Application of Flame Temperature Correlations to Emissions from a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 831734 1983
- Yu R.C. Shahed S.M. “Effects of Injection Timing and Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Emissions From a DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 811234 1981
- Iida N. Watanabe J. “Surrounding Gas Condition Effects on NO x And Particulates” Proc. International Symposium COMODIA 90 625 632 1990
- Desantes J.M. Pastor J.V. Molina S. “Analysis of the Combustion Process in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel engine Through In-Cylinder Visualisation” ASME 1999 Spring Technical Conference 2 105 113 1999
- Hiroyasu H. Kadota T. “Development and Use of a Spray Combustion Modeling to Predict Diesel Engine Efficiency and Pollutant Emissions. (Part 1 Combustion Modeling)” Bull. Of the JSME 26 214 569 575 April 1983
- Khan I.M. Greeves G. “A Method for Calculating the Formation and Combustion of Soot in Diesel Engines” Heat Transfer in Flames Afgan N.H. Beer J.M. John Wiley and Sons New York 391 404 1974