This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Feedback Control of a Digital Hydraulic Operating System (DHOS) Diesel Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
A new algorithm for injection control has been designed, enabling small, consistent, pilot injection quantities. The control scheme described in this paper is adaptable and software tunable. It enjoys advantages including the ability to compensate for both manufacturing tolerances and operating conditions such as pressure, temperature and injection timing. In bench and dynamometer testing on Sturman Industries' DHOS (Digital Hydraulic Operating System) diesel injector the algorithm has proven its effectiveness for decreasing the minimum stable injection quantity. This data is presented along with results showing improved repeatability at large injection quantities and stable multiple injection sequences. The approach thus provides both improved performance and tremendous flexibility for the injection sequence.
CitationVance, E., Giordano, D., and Sturman, O., "Feedback Control of a Digital Hydraulic Operating System (DHOS) Diesel Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0525, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0525.
- Cole, C. Sturman, O.E. Giordano, D. “Application of Digital Valve Technology to Diesel Fuel Injection,” SAE paper 1999-01-0196 1999
- Glassey, S.F. Stockner, A.R. Flinn, M.A. “HEUI - A New Direction for Diesel Engine Fuel Systems,” SAE paper 930270 1993
- Jafar, D. “Pilot Injection,” Engineering CXLIV 416 419 October 15 1937
- Nehmer, D. A. Reitz, R. D. “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injection on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions,” SAE Paper No. 940668 1994
- Woodson H. Melcher J. Electromechanical Dynamics, Part I: Discrete Systems John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York 1968
- Zhang, L “A Study of Pilot Injection in a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 1999-01-3493 1999