This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Kinematics and Compliance of Sports Utility Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
For concept and design of modern suspension systems many different demands have to be considered. Beside package and lightweight construction especially the real scopes of a suspension system, kinematics and compliance, are getting more and more important to fulfill all technical needs coming from the automotive market. In particular the development of suspension systems for Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs) has to satisfy very high demands and strong characteristics criteria coming from the On-Road and Off-Road driving.
As many different load cases have to be taken into account, an analytic approach can only be used for first concept steps to design a SUV-suspension system. After that it is necessary to verify and tune all suspension and bushing characteristics by the use of multibody simulation tools like e. g. ADAMS. Therefore adequate models of all suspension components have to be available .
In this paper the main kinematics and compliance effects for an independent SUV suspension system will be explained and illustrated:
▪ Explanation of different load cases coming from the individual purposes of a Sports Utility Vehicle, Off-Road and On-Road
▪ Illustration of the K&C influences coming from the use of active systems to control roll and pitch angles or the individual wheel loads
▪ Development of an analytic approach to solve the kinematic and compliance needs.
▪ Simulation description and results to verify the suspension design
▪ Analysis of vibration problems resulting from current suspension system concepts
CitationHoldmann, P. and Berger, F., "Kinematics and Compliance of Sports Utility Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0491, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0491.
- WALLENTOWITZ H. Vertikal-/Querdynamik von Kraftfahrzeugen Umdruck zur Vorlesung Kraftfahrzeuge II Verlag fka ISBN 3-925 194-35-5 Aachen, 1. Auflage 1996
- MATSCHINSKY W. Radführung der Straßenfahrzeuge Springer Verlag ISBN 3-540-64155-6 Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 2. Auflage 1998
- REIMPELL J., STOLL H. The Automotive Chassis: Engineering Principles SAE, Inc. ISBN 1-56091-736-9 Warrendale, 1st edition 1996
- HOLDMANN P., KÖHN P., MÖLLER B., WILLEMS R. Suspension kinematics and compliance - measuring and simulation SAE 1998 International Congress and Exposition
- KÖHN P., HOLDMANN P. Moderne Prüfstandstechnik für das Fahrwerk ATZ 100 (1998) Nr. 9
- HOLDMANN P. Kinematik und Elastokinematik moderner Pkw-Radaufhängungen Lecture within the PhD-Procedure at the Aachen University of Technology, Aachen, May 2000