This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Front Suspension Parameters on Road Wheel Toe Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
Front road wheel toe dynamics directly affects tire wear and steering wheel vibration, which in turn negatively impacts customer satisfaction. Though static toe can be preset in assembly plants, the front road wheels can vibrate around steering axes or kingpin axes due to tire mass unbalance and nonuniformity. The frequency of the vibration depends on the wheel size and vehicle speed, while the amplitude of the vibration is not only dictated by the tire forces, but also by suspension and steering parameters. This paper presents a study on the sensitivities of the front road wheel toe dynamics to the parameters of a short-long-arm suspension (SLA) and a parallelogram steering system. These parameters includes hard point shift, steering gear compliance, gear friction, control arm bushing rates, friction in control arm ball joints, and compliance in tie rod outboard joints. The simulations were performed using the multibody dynamics analysis package ADAMS, while the tests were conducted on a chassis roll. The simulation and test results are well correlated, showing the effects of the friction and compliance parameters on the toe angle amplitude. The study provides valuable information in developing design strategies for minimizing the toe vibration caused by the tire imperfection.
CitationWang, D. and Rui, Y., "The Effects of Front Suspension Parameters on Road Wheel Toe Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0482, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0482.
- Guan, Di-Hua Research on Vibration of Motor Vehicle Front Wheels SAE 830893
- Hackert, P. B. Simulation and Investigation of Shimmy on a Light Truck Independent Front Suspension SAE 933043
- Pak, Chol Hui et al A Study on the Tangential Vibration of the Steering Wheel of Passenger Car SAE 912565
- Kim, Myung-Gyu Ho-ll Jeong Sensitivity Analysis of Chassis System to Improve Shimmy and Brake Judder Vibration on Steering Wheel SAE 960734
- Landreau, T. Gillet V. Analysis and Control of Vehicle Steering Wheel Angular Vibrations ADAMS User's Conference 1999
- Pacejka, Ir. H. B. Analysis of the Shimmy Phenomenon Proc. Of the 2000 SAE Automotive Dynamics & Stability Conf.
- Taheri, Saied et al Analysis and Optimization of Vehicle Steering System SAE 981113
- Song, Sang Kee et al Vibration Analysis of the Steering Wheel of a Passenger Car Due to the Tire Nonuniformity SAE 931918