This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Repeatable Dynamic Rollover Test Procedure with Controlled Roof Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
Rollover crash and accident studies identify significant roof-to-ground impacts adjacent to the vehicle occupant as a potential cause of severe injuries. It is not possible with existing dynamic rollover test methods to specifically repeat or recreate a particular roof-to-ground impact in a controlled fashion. Variations associated with tire-to-dolly, tire/wheel-to-ground, and vehicle-to-ground interactions early in current rollover test methods tend to produce unpredictable and unrepeatable roof-to-ground impacts later in the test.
A new test device now enables researchers to bypass the uncertainty of these first ground interactions by beginning each test with the desired roof-to-ground impact conditions as a test input. The new rollover test method releases a rotating vehicle onto the ground from the back of a moving semi-trailer. The roll, pitch and yaw angles, translational and vertical velocities, and roll velocity of the vehicle for the first roof-to-ground interaction is repeatable from test to test. However, the subsequent vehicle dynamics are not repeatable as the vehicle rolls to rest. In addition to the onboard and off-board vehicle documentation, unique, close camera coverage is provided from the rear of the trailer.
CitationCooper, E., Moffatt, E., Curzon, A., Smyth, B. et al., "Repeatable Dynamic Rollover Test Procedure with Controlled Roof Impact," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0476, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0476.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
- Orlowski, K.O. Bundorf, R.T. Moffatt, E.A. “Rollover Crash Tests – The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics,” SAE 851734 1985
- Bahling, G.S. Bundorf, R.T. Kaspzyk, G.S. Moffatt, E.A. Orlowski, K.O. Stocke, J.E. “Rollover and Drop Tests – The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics Using Belted Dummies,” SAE 902314 th 1990
- Sakurai, T. Takigawa, Y. Ikento, N “Study on Passenger Car Rollover Simulation,” th 1991
- Mackay, G.M. Parkin, S. Morris, A.P. Brown, R.N. “The Urban Rollover: Characteristics, Injuries, Seat-Belts and Ejection,” th 1991
- Huelke, D.F. Compton, C.P. “Injury Frequency and Severity in Rollover Car Crashes as Related to Occupant Ejection, Contacts, and Roof Damage,” Accident Analysis and Prevention XIV 5 1983
- Wilson, R.A. Gannon, R.R. “Rollover Testing,” SAE 720495 1972
- Cooperrider, N.K. Thomas, T.M. Hammoud, S.A. “Testing and Analysis of Vehicle Rollover Behavior,” SAE 900366 1990
- Ennos, C.R. “ESV Rollover Test Methods,” 1971
- Thomas, T.M. Cooperrider, N.K. Hammoud, S.A. Woley, P.F. “Real World Rollovers – A Crash Test Procedure and Vehicle Kinematics Evaluation,” Proceedings of Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference 1989
- Huber H. Daimler-Benz A-G Presentation to SAE Impact and Rollover Subcommittee 1970
- Segal Kamholz “Development of a General Purpose Rollover Test Device,” 1983
- Digges, K Klisch, S. “Analysis of the Factors Which Influence Rollover Crash Severity,” 13 th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 1991
- Moffatt, E.A. Padmanaban, J. “The Relationship Between Roof Strength and Occupant Injury in Rollover Accident Data,” Association for Advancement of Automotive Medicine 1995
- Friedewald, K. “An Analysis of Body Loads During Rollover Tests; Roof Crush and Occupant Protection,” 1996
- Arndt, M.W. Mowry, G.A. Dickerson, C.P. Arndt, S.M. “Evaluation of Experimental Restraints in Rollover Conditions,” SAE 952712 th 1995
- Pywell, J.F. Ruuhana, S.W. McCleary, J.D. DeSaele, K.H. “Characterization of Belt Restraint Systems in Quasistatic Vehicle Rollover Tests,” SAE 973334 1997
- Moffatt, E.A. Cooper, E.R. Croteau, J. Parenteau, C. Toglia, A. “Head Excursion of Seat Belted Cadaver, Volunteers and Hybrid III ATD in a Dynamic Static Rollover Fixture,” SAE 973347 1997