This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Reflector Optics with Smooth Surface for Automotive Lamps
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
ACRs (All Clear Reflectors), also widely referred to as FFRs (Free Form Reflectors), were designed in general and intelligent ways using a NURBS surface for the mathematical modeling of the reflector shape and artificial intelligence as the optimum design algorithm. An ACR, which consists of a continuous surface reflector and clear outer lens, offers styling advantages and provides a high quality light performance. The clear outer lens of an ACR remains efficient even with a highly inclined shape, as in the design of a sports car, plus the complete clearness of the reflector surface eliminates the nuisance of stray light caused by the steps between individual segments of multi-faced reflectors. The design technique of an ACR was also successfully applied and tested with all types of lamps, including low beams, high beams, fog lamps, and turn signal lamps.
|Technical Paper||Development of Smoothly Curved Reflector for Headlamps|
|Technical Paper||Smoothly Curved Reflector with Diffusion Capability|
|Technical Paper||Smooth Complex Reflectors - An Alternative Approach|
CitationPark, J. and Sah, J., "Design of Reflector Optics with Smooth Surface for Automotive Lamps," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0457, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0457.
- Nakata Yutaka Multi B-Spline Surface Reflector Optimized with Neural Network SAE Technical Paper Series 940638 1994
- Nakata Yutaka Dual-Filament Replaceable Bulb Headlamp Using a Multi-Reflector Optimized with a Neural Network SAE Technical Paper Series 950599 1995
- Hogrefe H. Neumann R. Application of Free Form Reflectors in Modern Headlamp systems SAE Technical Paper Series 950593 1995
- Branburg Willi The Replacement of Parabolic Reflectors by “Free Form” Reflectors SAE Technical Paper Series 960926 1996
- Wang B. Kreysar D. Jiao J. Design Strategy for Free-Form Reflector Head Lamp Using High Intensity Discharge Light Source SAE Technical Paper Series 970902 1997
- Kagiyama S. Nino N. Application of Free Formed Surface Reflectors SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-0428 2000
- Rogers David F. Adams J. Alan “Mathematical Elements for Computer Graphics” McGraw-Hill Publishing Company