This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Headform Development for Neck Calibrating Tests of the SID-IIs Side Impact Dummy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The SID-IIs side impact dummy is a newly designed dummy as an anthropomorphic test device for small size person to be used in side impact crash testing. The head and neck are one of the key components for SID-IIs dummy designing, manufacturing, and testing. This paper is focused on the development of a Headform to be used for neck calibration of the SID-IIs side impact dummy.
It will be very difficult in neck calibration measurement of the SID-IIs dummy if its head is used for the test directly. The Headform is one of the methods to solve this problem. However, the Headform must be consistent in achieving equivalent functional performance as the dummy head and associated physical properties. A 3-D head model has been developed for obtaining initial basic information. The offset can be controlled within 3% during the engineering design of the Headform.
The neck dynamic test has been done before the Headform test. The neck movement has also been analyzed by using the high-speed video system at testing. More tests have been conducted to evaluate the Headform performance at various calibration laboratories. Test results indicated that the performance of the Headform is consistent with the design concept of SID-IIs Headform.
Based on the test results analysis, the new Headform has yielded stable and repeatable results to match the calibration requirements. The Headform can therefore be used for the neck calibrating tests of the SID-IIs side impact dummy.
CitationZhao, Y., Salloum, M., Kottur, S., Moss, S. et al., "Headform Development for Neck Calibrating Tests of the SID-IIs Side Impact Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0121, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0121.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-6; Published: 2002-09-15
- Daniel, R. P. Irwin, A. Athey, J. Balser, J. Eichbrecht, P. Hultman, R. W. Kirkish, S. L. Kneisly, A. Mertz, H. Nusholtz, G. Rouhana, S. W. Scherer, R. D. The Small Size Advanced Side Impact Dummy Task Group of the Occupant Safety Research Partnership Salloum M. Smrcka, J. Technical Specifications of the SID-IIs Dummy Proceeding of the 39 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1995 952735
- Ewing, C. L. Thomas, D. J. Majewski, P. L. Black, R. Lustik, L. Measurement of Head, T1 and Pelvic Response to -Gx Impact Acceleration Proceeding of the 21 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1981 770927
- Kallieris, D. Mattern, R. Schmidt, G. Eppinger, R. H. Quantification of Side Impact Responses and Injuries Proceeding of the 25 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1981 811009
- Kirkish, S. L Hultman, R. W. Scherer, R. D. Daniel, R. P. Rouhana, S. W. Nusholtz, G. Athey, J. Balser, J. Irwin, A. Mertz, H. Kneisly, A. Eichbrecht, P. The Small Size Advanced Side Impact Dummy Task Group of the Occupant Safety Research Partnership Salloum, M. Status of Prove-Out Testing of the SID-IIs Alpha Prototype Proceeding of the 15 th International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 1996
- Marcus, J. H. Morgan, R. M. Eppinger, R. H. Human Response and Injury from Lateral Impact Proceeding of the 27 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1983 831634
- Melvin, J. W. Robbins, D. H. Stalnaker, R. L Side Impact Response and Injury Proceeding of the 6 th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 1976 681 689
- Mertz, H. J. Anthropomorphic Test Devices - Accidental Injury, Biomechanics and Prevention Springer-Verlag New York 1993
- Patrick L M. Chou, C. C. Response of the Human Neck in Flexion, Extension and Lateral Flexion Society of Automotive Engineers 1976
- Scherer, R. D. Kirkish, S. L McCleary, J.P. Rouhana, S. W. Athey, J. Balser, J. Hultman, R. W. Mertz, H. J. Berliner, J. M. Xu L Kostyniuk, G. W. The Small Size Advanced Side Impact Dummy Task Group of the Occupant Safety Research Partnership, Salloum, M. and Wang, Z., First Technology Safety Systems, Morgan, C. R., Robert A. Denton, Inc. Proceeding of the 42 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1998 983151
- Wismans, J. Van Oorschot H. Woltring, J. H. Omni-Directional Head-Neck Response Proceeding of the 30 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1986 861893