This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Web-Based Vehicle Remote Access and Its Application to In-Vehicle Network Integrated Fleet Management
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
The demands for effective and efficient management of commercial vehicles and freight transport have led to the increasing needs for sophisticated fleet management systems (FMS) for reducing the operation cost of commercial vehicle operation, improving custom service and asset management as well as maintaining the safety and security. The availability and declining costs of telecommunications and information technologies afford opportunities for using real-time information to achieve these targets and the emergence of internet technology make it possible to transfer updated real-time information through more widely available communication media.
This paper introduces the web-based remote-access concept for the real-time information acquisition, which has been used to enhance functionality of a dynamic fleet management system. When integrated with in-vehicle network, the information from other intelligent transport system (ITS) devices, along with vehicle electronic control modules, can be made available for a web-based remote fleet management system of vehicle fleet. The structure of an intelligent event engine has been proposed on the vehicle-side for monitoring and controlling of vehicle operations through the combination of web-based communication media and vehicle network technology. The implementation of the proposed method on a Truck System Concept Verifier has been used to demonstrate feasibility of the web-based remote access to enhance functionality of a dynamic FMS.
|Technical Paper||Using NFPA Compliant Fire Apparatus Vehicle Data Recorders for Collision Investigation - Weldon Type 6444|
|Technical Paper||Advanced Collision Avoidance Demonstration for Heavy-Duty Vehicles|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||ITS Data Bus—Low Impedance Stereo Audio (LISA)|
CitationNi, Y., Nwagboso, C., and Samuel, J., "Web-Based Vehicle Remote Access and Its Application to In-Vehicle Network Integrated Fleet Management," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0067, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0067.
- Regan A.C. Mahmassani H.S. Jaillet P. Evaluation of Dynamic Fleet Management Systems: Simulation Framework Transportation Research Record 1645 1998 176 184
- DeCoen L. Netten B.D. Vingerhoeds R.A. Central Advice System for Fleet Management and Operations IEE Conference Publication 1998 453 315 320
- Regan A.C. Mahmassani H.S. Jaillet P. Improving Efficiency of Commercial Vehicle Operations Using Real-time Information: Potential Use and Assignment Strategies Transportation Research Record 1493 1998 188 198
- Feijoo C. Ramos F. Perez F. A system for Fleet management using Differential GPS and VHF Data Transmission Mobile Networks IEE Vehicle Navigation and Information systems Conference VNIS 93 445 448
- Beyeler Bruce Pheanis David C. Communication Frame for Remote Vehicle Access SAE 2000-01-0150 March 2000 U.S.A
- Ni. Y. Nwagboso, C A Function-enhanced Method for Fleet Management Systems Using In-vehicle Network To be published in ISATA 2000 Conference Sept. 2000 Dublin, Ireland
- Ni. Y. Nwagboso, C Zhang A Samuel J Intelligent Message Prioritization for System Integration Through Vehicle Networks SAE 2000-01-0151 March 2000 U.S.A
- Gryphon User's Manual Dearborn Group 1999