This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Flow Analysis of Vehicle Engine Cooling System
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
This paper describes theoretical model developed for analyzing the heat transfer of automotive cooling systems. The model has a modular structure which links various cooling system submodels. From the model, heat transfer rate of automotive cooling systems can be predicted, providing useful information at the early stages of the design and development. The aim of the study is to develop a simulation program for automotive cooling system analysis and a performance analysis program for analyzing heat exchanger. Heat release rate from combustion gas to coolant through cylinder wall in engine cylinder was analyzed by using engine cycle simulation program. In this paper, details of each submodel are described together with the overall structure of the vehicle model.
CitationWon, J. and Park, K., "Thermal Flow Analysis of Vehicle Engine Cooling System," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0307, 2000.
- Sidders J. A. Tilley, D. G. 1997 “Optimising Cooling System Performance Using Computer Simulation” SAE 971802
- Sakai, T. Ishiguro, S. Sudoh, Y. Raab G. Hager, J. 1994 “The Optimum Design of Engine Cooling System by Computer Simulation” SAE 942270
- Eichiseder W. Raab, G. 1993 “Calculation and Design of Cooling Systems” SAE 931088
- Veshagh A. Chen, C. 1993 “A Computer Model for Thermofluid Analysis of Engine Warm-Up Process” SAE 931157
- Assanis D. N. Heywood, J. B. 1986 “Development and Use of a Computer Simulation of the Turbocompounded Diesel System for Engine Performance and Component Heat Transfer Studies” SAE 860329
- Xu, Z. Johnson J. H. Chiang, E. C. 1984 “A Simulation Study of a Computer Controlled Cooling System for a Diesel Powered Truck” SAE 841711
- Chiang, E. C. Ursini V. J. Johnson, J. H. 1982 “Development and Evaluation of a Diesel Powered Truck Cooling System Computer Simulation Program” SAE 821048
- Rising, F. G. 1977 “Engine Cooling System Design for Heavy Duty Trucks” SAE 770023
- Heywood, J. B. 1988 Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Automotive Technology Series McGraw-Hill
- Woschni G. Fieger, J. 1982 “Experimental Investigation of the Heat Transfer at Normal and Knocking Combustion in Spark Ignition Engines” MTZ 43 63 67
- Kays W. M. London, A. L. 1984 Compact Heat Exchangers 3rd edition McGraw Hill New York
- Holman, J.P. 1992 Heat Transfer seventh ed. McGraw Hill
- Chang Y. J. Wang, C. C. 1997 “A Generalized Heat Transfer Correlations for Louver Fin Geometry” Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer 40 3 533 544