This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved UA tire model as a semi-empirical model
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
Nowadays, the various virtual tests of a vehicle are increasingly on demand to drastically reduce development cycle time. For the purpose of predicting realistic and accurate vehicle response through the virtual test, a tire model precisely representing real tire property is necessary. This study presents an improved UA tire model as a semi-empirical model. This model provides reasonable data fitting even holding the strength of UA tire model. For that purpose, the main formulations for longitudinal and lateral forces are just re-used. However, cornering stiffness, camber stiffness and driving/braking stiffness are experimentally formulated as functions of load to realistically represent tire characteristics. The formulations of friction coefficients are improved, and also friction characteristic parameters are determined as functions of slip angle, and camber angle and load. For the purpose of validation, the improved UA tire model is compared with Magic formula as well as empirical data.
|Technical Paper||Improvement of Vehicle Ride Performance Using a Switchable Damper Suspension System|
|Technical Paper||Un-sprung Weight, the Enemy that Became a Friend|
|Technical Paper||Fundamental Physics Behind New Suspension Concept for Automobiles|
CitationChoi, Y. and Gim, G., "Improved UA tire model as a semi-empirical model," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0278, 2000.
- Sakai H. 1981 Theoretical and experimental studies on the dynamic properties of tyres, 1: Review of theories of rubber friction International Journal of Vehicle Design 2 1 78 110
- Sakai H. 1981 Theoretical and experimental studies on the dynamic properties of tyres, 2: Experimental investigation of rubber friction and deformation of a tire International Journal of Vehicle Design 2 2 182 226
- Sakai H. 1981 Theoretical and experimental studies on the dynamic properties of tires, 3: Calculation of the six components of force and moment of a tyre International Journal of Vehicle Design 2 3 335 372
- Gim G. Nikravesh P.E. 1990 An analytical Model of Pneumatic Tires for Vehicle Dynamic Simulations: Part 1. Pure Slips International Journal of Vehicle Design 11 6 589 618
- Gim G. Nikravesh P.E. 1991 An analytical Model of Pneumatic Tires for Vehicle Dynamic Simulations: Part 2. Comprehensive Slips International Journal of Vehicle Design 12 1 19 39
- Schuring D. J. Pelz W. Pottinger M. G. 1993 The BNPS Model - An Automated Implementation of the Magic Formula Concept SAE Technical Paper Series 931909
- Pacejka H. B. Besselink I. J. M. 1997 Magic Formula Tyre Model with Transient Properties Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement 27 234 249
- Gim G. Nikravesh P.E. 1993 A Three Dimensional Tire Model for Steady-State Simulations of Vehicles, Journal of Commercial Vehicles SAE Transactions 931913