This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of Continuously Variable Damper for Design of Semi-Active Suspension Systems
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
The continuously variable damper is widely used in the semi-active suspension system since it can yield various damping forces at a given damper velocity. By applying an appropriate control scheme to the damper, satisfaction of both ride comfort and driving safety can be realized. For successful development of the semi-active suspension system, a model that accurately describes the complex and nonlinear behavior of the continuously variable damper is crucial. In this research, a modeling technique for the continuously variable damper has been studied. Various damper components have been analyzed and their effects upon damper characteristics have been closely investigated. The effects of the damper characteristics change upon ride comfort and driving safety has also been investigated via simulations.
- Seung-Jin Heo - 1) Graduate School of Automotive Engineering, Kookmin University, Seoul 136-702, Korea
- Kihong Park - 1) Graduate School of Automotive Engineering, Kookmin University, Seoul 136-702, Korea
- Sung-Hyo Son - 1) Graduate School of Automotive Engineering, Kookmin University, Seoul 136-702, Korea
CitationHeo, S., Park, K., and Son, S., "Modeling of Continuously Variable Damper for Design of Semi-Active Suspension Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0213, 2000.
- Kim J.E. Kim J.S. “Development of Continously Variable Dampers for Passenger Vehicles” Proceedings of G7 Project Progress Workshop 540 551 1997
- Karnopp D. Crosby M.J. Harwood R.A. “Vibration Control Using Semi-active Force Generators” J. of Engineering for Industry 619 626 1974
- Hwang S.H. “Vehicle Dynamic Analysis of Continuously Variable Damper System using Hardware-in-the-loop Simulation” Ph.D. Thesis, Seoul National University 1997
- Heo S.J. Hwang S.H. Kim H.S. Lee K.I. “Vehicle Dynamic Analysis and Evaluation of Continuously Controlled Semi-active Suspensions Using Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation” Proceedings of AVEC96 955 969 1996
- Heo S.J. Park K. Hwang S.H. “Performance and Design Consideration for Continuously Controlled Semi-Active Suspension System” Proceedings ofAVEC98 69 74 1998