This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Simulation of Active Suspension System by Using Matlab
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
Over the past few years, active suspension system on motor vehicles has had an in increasing application. The simulation of this system has a multiple importance, especially in the countries such as ours: We gain time - by not having to wait for exploitation results; It is cost-effective - we don't have to design an expensive model in the Lab and perform complex laboratory examinations; We can simulate suspension systems of almost all categories and kinds of motor vehicles, which could, also, be hardly possible in laboratory conditions. Suspension system modelling has been performed on ¼ vehicle model, using Matlab program, version 5.2, in two different ways: by transfer function and state-space equation. It has been concluded that the settling time and overshoot of the vehicle, after coming across any kind of obstacle, are too long, and that a controller must be introduced into the suspension system. We have designed a system with PID controller and found the response of such a system. Then we have chosen the poles and zeros for such a controller and designed it using root locus design method. Finally have performed the synthesis of the system in the frequency range as well, using Bode plot or via Nyquist diagram. All of these simulations have been carried out for passenger vehicles and for buses. WE have optimized the controller characteristics relative to initial concrete requirements and on the basis of different values of input parametres. We expect that, in near future, this design and some of its modifications, will have a large application in the designing of such suspension systems in motor vehicles industry of our country.
CitationPopovic, V., Jankovic, D., and Vasic, B., "Design and Simulation of Active Suspension System by Using Matlab," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0180, 2000.
- Janicijevic, N. Jankovic, D. Todorovic, J. “Motor Vehicles Design” The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Belgrade 1998
- Janicijevic, N. “Automatic Control in Motor Vehicles” The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Belgrade 1993
- Lujan, M. L. “Passive and Sky-Hook Damping Active Suspension Half-Car Models with Tire Lift-Off” Technical Report Berkeley University of California USA 1998
- Stojic, M. “Automatic Control Systems” The Faculty of Transportation Belgrade 1999
- Popovic, V. “Active, Semi-Active and Passive Suspension and its Functions” Seminar paper, The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Belgrade 1998
- Popovic, V. “Bus Active Suspension Modelling Using Matlab 5.2” Yugoslav Operational Research Symposium '99 Belgrade 1999
- Calasan, L. Petkovska, M. “Matlab and Additional Modules” Micro-book Belgrade 1996
- Gillespie, T. D. “Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc Warrendale 1992