Performance Development for Hydraulic Elements of Hyundai Automotive Automatic Transmission
Published June 12, 2000 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation of this paper is available
As a good shift quality and a low fuel consumption are increasingly demanded in a passenger automotive automatic transmission (in short: A/T), various new performance studies of automotive automatic transmissions have lately been introduced. In this paper, we considered the dynamic characteristics of pressure observed in hydraulic elements of automatic transmission, such as an oil pump, a pressure control valve, and a torque converter. The suppression of discharge pressure ripple using a notch is first examined in a trochoidal gear type oil pump. The improvement of hydraulic stability of clutch control pressure is also investigated on the basis of the experimental and simulation results. And, the CFD analysis shows that the key factors affecting performance of the torque converter are angles and shape of blades modified to reduce pressure loss. From these results, we may conclude that the characteristics of hydraulic pressure are primarily correlated with the performance of automatic transmission.
CitationKim, G., Park, J., and Jang, J., "Performance Development for Hydraulic Elements of Hyundai Automotive Automatic Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0081, 2000.
- Fabiani, M., Manco, S., Nervegna, N., Rundo, M., Armenio, G., Pachetti, C., Trichilo, R., “Modeling and Simulation of Gerotor Gearing in Lubricating Oil Pumps”, SAE 99P-464.
- Cigarini, M. “ CFD-Applications in the Design and Development of Automotive Automatic Transmissions” ISATA conference in Italy, Paper No. 97VR017.
- Lakshminarayana, B., “ Pespective: Fluid Dynamics and Performance of Automotive Torque Converters: An assessment” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.118, pp665~676, 1996.
- Katoh, Yoshiaki “ Application of Electro-hydraulic Control Valves to Automatic Transmissions - An Approach to Improving Shift Quality”, SAE. NO. 912487.
- Watton J., Fluid Power Systems, Prentice Hall, 1989.
- Shahian B. and Hassul M., Control System Design Using MATLAB, Prentice Hall, 1993.
- The Math Works, Inc., MATLAB Ver 5.3 User Guide, 1999.
- Design Practices: Passenger Car Automatic Transmission, Third Edition, SAE, 1994,