This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Neck Injury Risk Curves for Tension and Extension Moment Measurements of Crash Dummies
Published January 01, 2000 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes improvements made to the injury risk curves for peak neck tension, peak neck extension moment and a linear combination of tension and extension moment that produce peak stress in the anterior-longitudinal ligament at the head-to-neck junction. Data from previously published experiments that correlated neck injuries to 10-week-old, anesthetized pigs and neck response measurements of a 3-year-old child dummy that were subjected to similar airbag deployments are updated and used to generate Normal probability curves for the risk of AIS ≥ 3 neck injury for the 3-year-old child. These curves are extended to other sizes and ages by normalizing for neck size. Factors for percent of muscle tone and ligamentous failure stress as a function of age are incorporated in the risk analysis. The most sensitive predictor of AIS ≥ 3 neck injury for this data set is peak neck tension. If two possible outliers are deleted from the data set, then the combined criterion of extension moment and axial force becomes the most sensitive predictor which is consistent with expectations.
CitationMertz, H. and Prasad, P., "Improved Neck Injury Risk Curves for Tension and Extension Moment Measurements of Crash Dummies," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-SC05, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-SC05.
- Mertz, H. J., Driscoli, G. D., Lenox, J. B., Nyquist, G. W., and Weber, D A., “Response of Animals Exposed to Deployment of Various Passenger Inflatable Restraint System Concepts for a Variety of Collision Severities and Animal Positions”, Ninth Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference, Kyoto, Japan, November 1 - 4, 1982. (Also published as SAE 826047, PT31, 1987).
- Mertz, H. J. and Weber, D. A., “Interpretations of the impact Responses of a 3-Year-Old Child Dummy Relative to Child Injury Potential”, Ninth Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference, Kyoto, Japan, November 1 - 4, 1982. (Also published as SAE 826048, SP-736, 1988).
- Prasad, P. and Daniel, R. P., “Biomechanical Analysis of Head, Neck and Torso Injuries to Child Surrogates Due to Sudden Torso Acceleration”, Twenty-Eighth Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 841656, November 1984.
- Stalnaker, R. L., Klusmeyer, L. F., Peel, H. H, White, C. D., Smith, G. R., and Mertz, H. J., “Unrestrained, Front Seat, Child Surrogate Trajectories Produced by Hard Braking”, Twenty-Sixth Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 821165, 1982.
- Montalvo, F., Bryant, R. W., and Mertz, H. J., “Possible Positions and Postures of Unrestrained Front-Seat Children at the Instant of Collisions”, Ninth Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference, Kyoto, Japan, November 1-4, 1982. (Also published as SAE 826045, PT 31, 1987).
- Wolanin, M. J., Mertz, H. J., Nyznyk, R. S., and Vincent, J. H., “Description and Basis of a Three-Year-Old Child Dummy for Evaluating Passenger Inflatable Restraint Concepts”, Ninth Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference, Kyoto, Japan, November 1-4, 1982. (Also published as SAE 826040, SP-736, 1988).
- Special Crash Investigation Reports, National Center for Statistics and Analysis, NHTSA.
- Lipson, C. and Narendra, S. J., Statistical Design and Analysis of Engineering Experiments, McGraw-Hill, NY, 1973.
- Prasad, P. and Mertz, H. J., “The Position of the United States Delegates to the ISO Working Group 6 on the Use of HIC in the Automotive Environment”, SAE 851246, 1985.
- Mertz, H. J., Prasad, P., and Nusholtz, G., “Head Injury Risk Assessment for Forehead impacts”, SAE 960099, March, 1996.
- Phen, R. L, Dowdy, M. W., Ebbeler, D. H., Kim, E. H., Moore, N. R., and VanZandt, T. R., “Advanced Air Bag Technology Assessment”, JPL Publication 98-3, Submitted to NHTSA, April, 1998.
- Mertz, H. J., Prasad, P., and Irwin, A. L., “Injury Risk Curves for Children and Adults in Frontal and Rear Collisions”, Forty-First Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 973318, November 1997.
- Melvin, J. W., “Injury Assessment Reference Values for CRABI 6-Month Infant Dummy in a Rear-Facing Infant Restraint with Airbag Deployment”, SAE 950872, February, 1995.
- Mertz, H. J., and Patrick, L. M., “Investigation of the Kinematics and Kinetics of Whiplash”, Eleventh Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 670919, October, 1967.
- Mertz, H. J. and Patrick, L. M., “Strength and Response of the Human Neck”, SAE 710855, Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, November, 1971.
- “Dummy Response Limits for FMVSS 208 Compliance Testing”, Annex 2 of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers Submission to SNPRM, Docket No. NHTSA 99-6407, December 22, 1999.