This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Directed Energy Switch: High Power Density, High Efficiency, High Temperature
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) require switches that are capable of switching hundreds to thousands of amperes of current at thousands of volts potential. Present and near term available devices must be packaged in parallel and in series to achieve the power ratings required for DEW applications. High voltage silicon (Si) devices such as recent advances in MOS turn-off thyristors (MTOs) can be used along with the high speed, soft-recovery Trench Oxide P-i-N Schottky (TOPS) diodes to reach high power density and high efficiency. However, wide bandgap, high thermal conductivity silicon carbide (SiC) power switches and diodes in development offer orders of magnitude improvement in terms of power density and power efficiency, and are much more ideal for DEW applications. In addition, SiC power switches can be operated at much higher temperatures than silicon (present developments to at least 300°C) with an increased Radiation Hardness.
This paper addresses, primarily, the planned capability of SiC devices in development and also touches on present Si power semiconductor capabilities and how they fit DEW applications.
CitationSevert, C. and Chang, H., "Directed Energy Switch: High Power Density, High Efficiency, High Temperature," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3616, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3616.
- Chang H-R et al “1200V, 50A Trench Oxide PiN Schottky (TOPS) Diode,” IEEE-IAS Conference Record 353 358 1999
- Huang Alex Q et al “MTO Thyristor: An efficient replacement for the standard GTO,” 1999
- Palmour J.W. et al Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser . 137 499 Inst. Of Phys. Bristol 1996
- Slack G.A. J. Phys. Chem. Solids 34 321 1973
- Burgemeister E.A. et al J. Appl. Phys. 50 5790 1979
- Itoh A. et al IEEE Electron Device lett. 17 139 1996
- Kimoto T. et al Mat. Sci. Forum 264-268 921 1998
- Stephani D. 7 th Domestic Meeting of SiC and Related Wide Bandgap Semiconductors I-2 Kyoto 1998
- Palmour J.W. 7th Domestic Meeting of SiC and Related Wide Bandgap Semiconductors I-1 Kyoto 1998
- Sugawara Y. et al Abstracts of ICSCRM'99 170 Durham 1999
- Tan J. et al IEEE Electron Device Lett. 19 487 1998
- Sugawara Y. et al ISPSD'2000 105 2000
- Agarwal A. et al Abstracts of ICSCRM'99 474 Durham 1999
- Palmour J.W. et al Diamond and Related Materials 6 1400 1997
- Allen S.T. et al Mat. Sci. Forum 264-268 953 1998