This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Test of a Short Track Race Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 13, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A full-scale investigative wind tunnel test was performed on a dirt track race car in the Langley Full Scale Tunnel (LFST). Lift and drag forces were measured and flow visualization studies performed for the purpose of quantifying the aerodynamic characteristics in order to assist designers and drivers of this class of vehicle. Results from the downforce measurements showed a rear axle biased aerodynamic balance. Flow visualization studies revealed large areas of separated flow on the forward portion of the side pods as well as over a large portion of the rear deck and spoiler behind the driver.
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Simulation of Late Model Car Performance on a Dirt Track|
|Technical Paper||An Investigation into the Effects of Suspension Tuning on the Cornering of a Winston Cup Race Car|
CitationLandman, D. and Koster, E., "A Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Test of a Short Track Race Car," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3548, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3548.
- Britcher, C. P. Landman, D. “From the 30 by 60 to the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel,” 36 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit January 1998
- Britcher, C. P. Landman, D. “Jurassic Tunnel: The Life, Death, and Resurrection of the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel,” European Forum on Wind Tunnels and Wind Tunnel Test Techniques April 1997
- Landman, D. Britcher, C. P. “Development of Race Car Testing at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel,” SAE 98MSV-21 1998
- Landman, D. “Road Simulation for NASCAR Vehicles at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel,” SAE 00MSV-31 November 2000
- Landman, D. Britcher C.P. Martin, P. “A Study of Ground Simulation for Wind Tunnel Testing of Full-Scale NASCAR's,” January 2000
- Katz, J. “New Directions in Race Car Aerodynamics, Designing for Speed,” Robert Bentley Publishers 1995
- Hucho, W. H. “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles,” SAE 1998
- Barlow, J. B. Rae, W. H. Pope, A. “Low Speed Wind Tunnel Testing,” 3rd John Wiley and Sons 1999
- Barnard, R. H. “Road Vehicle Aerodynamic Design” Addison Wesley Longman Limited 1996