This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Rapid Duct Development and Diagnostic Tool (R3DT) for Numerically Simulating Airflow through Complex Three Dimensional Ducts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 04, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Rapid Duct Development and Diagnostic airflow simulation Tool (R3DT) has been developed that allows computational fluid dynamics (CFD) airflow simulations to be performed on complex three-dimensional (3D) Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) ducts quickly, easily and cost effectively. R3DT is a very automated approach to performing grid generation and CFD. It draws upon the strengths of the tools of ICEM CFD Engineering to create a fully tetrahedral mesh for complicated air duct geometries based on the original CAD data. It also uses FLUENT™ as the tetrahedral CFD solver. R3DT enables designers to make informed design decisions based on the predicted performance of their duct designs early in the development process, with the data still in CAD format. The concepts behind R3DT, as well as its application to a series of three-dimensional ducts with varying levels of geometrical complexity will be presented.
CitationMcLandress, A., Loczi, J., and Griaznov, V., "A Rapid Duct Development and Diagnostic Tool (R3DT) for Numerically Simulating Airflow through Complex Three Dimensional Ducts," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3498, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3498.
- Busch, J. Pien, W.S. AbdulNour, B.S. Brown, J.S. Doroudian, M.M. “Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis and Validation for a HVAC Duct Design,” SAE Paper 940597 1994
- Werner, Frank Frik, Steffen “Optimization of an Automotive HVAC Module by Means of Computational Fluid Dynamics,” SAE Paper 950439 1995
- Currle, J. Harper, M. Ross, F. Heid, T. “Evaluation of the HVAC System of Passenger Cars and Prediction of the Micoclimate in the Passenger Compartment by Application of Numerical Flow Analysis,” SAE Paper 971788 1997
- Currle, J. “Application of Computational Fluid Dynamics for the Optimization of Air Ducts,” 29 th ISATA Florence 1996
- Axelsson, N. Enwald, H. “Accuracy in Flow Simulations of Climate Control-Part 1: The Air Distribution System,” SAE Paper 1999-01-1200 1999
- Okumura, K. “CFD Simulation by Automatically Generated Tetrahedral and Prismatic Cells for Engine Intake Duct and Coolant Flow in Three Days,” SAE Paper 2000-01-0294 2000
- ICEM CFD Engineering ICEM CFD Tetra™ September 1998
- Fluent Inc. FLUENT™ 5 User's Guide July 1998
- Fluent Inc. TGrid 3 User's Guide First June 1997
- Choi, Y.D. Iacovides, H. Launder, B.E. “Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flow in a Square-Sectioned 180 deg Bend,” ASME Journal of Fluid Engineering 111 March 1989 59 68
- Driver, D.M. Seegmiller, H.L. “Features of a Reattaching Turbulent Shear Layer in Divergent Channel Flow,” AIAA Journal 23 2 February 1985 163 171