This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Method Determining the Dynamic Rollover Threshold of Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 04, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today, active dynamic control systems for commercial vehicles, offering improved safety, are frequently discussed. Yaw stabilising systems are based on theories from passenger car implementation, yet roll stabilisation - probably introduced in the near future - requires increased knowledge of rollover mechanics.
Static analysis, providing steady state rollover threshold (SSRT), is the most common approach. Nevertheless in a rolling vehicle, kinetic energy is always present, deteriorating roll stability, invalidating the analysis. A simple method determining the dynamic rollover threshold (DRT) is therefore introduces in this paper.
DRT is the worst case measure of roll instability: the conditions are necessary but not sufficient for rollover. Simulations using a validated model however, confirm theories: rollover occurs for the un-damped vehicle when a lateral acceleration step-input, equal to DRT, is introduced and at a little higher acceleration, still distinctly lower than SSRT, when dampers are included.
CitationDahlberg, E., "A Method Determining the Dynamic Rollover Threshold of Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3492, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3492.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V109-2; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-2; Published: 2001-09-15
- Preston-Thomas, J. Woodrooffe, J. H. F. 1990 A Feasibility Study of a Rollover Warning Device for Heavy Trucks Technical Report TP 10610E National Research Council Canada 1990 09
- Ervin, R. Winkler, C. Fancher, P. Hagan, M. Krishnaswami, V. Zhang, H. Bogard, S. 1998 Two Active Systems for Enhancing Dynamic Stability in Heavy Truck Operations UMTRI-98-39 Final Report DTNH22-95-H-07002
- Hinch, J. Scott, S. Klein, T. M. 1992 NHTSA's Rollover Rulemaking Program - Results of Testing and Analysis SAE paper 920581
- Hecker, F. Hummel, S. Jundt, O. Leimbach, K. D. Faye, I. Schramm, H. 1997 Vehicle Dynamics Control of Commercial Vehicles SAE paper 973284
- Nalecz, A.G. Bindemann, A. C. Brewer, H. K. 1989 Dynamic Analysis of Vehicle Rollover 2 803 819 Twelfth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Gothenburg 1989
- Nalecz, A. G. 1989 Influence of vehicle and roadway factors on the dynamics of tripped rollover Int. J. of Vehicle Design 10 3 1989 321 346
- Chace, M. A. Wielenga, T. J. 1999 A Test Simulation Process to Improve Rollover Resistance SAE paper 1999-01-0125
- Wielenga, T. J. 1999 A Method for Reducing On-Road Rollovers - Anti-Rollover Braking SAE paper 1999-01-0123
- Nelligan, B. Zein, S. R. 1997 Identifying Optimal Locations for the Development of a Truck Rollover Warning System SAE paper 972667
- Das, N. S. Suresh, B. A. Wambold, J. C. 1993 Estimation of Dynamic Rollover Threshold of Commercial Vehicles Using Low Speed Experimental Data SAE paper 932949
- Rakheja, S. Piché, A. 1990 Development of Directional Stability Criteria for an Early Warning Safety Device SAE paper 902265
- Liu, P. J. Rakheja, S. Ahmed, A. K. W. 1997 Detection of Dynamic Roll Instability of Heavy Vehicles for Open-Loop Rollover Control SAE paper 973263
- Nalecz, A.G. Lu, Z. d'Entremont, K. L. 1993 An Investigation into Dynamic Measures of Vehicle Rollover Propensity SAE paper 930831
- Dahlberg, E. 1999 Commercial Vehicle Rollover Prediction using Energy Considerations Proceedings from the 1999 Barcelona EAEC European Automotive Congress
- Chrstos, J. P. Guenther D. A 1992 The Measurement of Static Rollover Metrics SAE paper 920582
- Lozia, Z. 1998 Rollover threshold of the biaxial truck during motion on an even road Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement 28 1998 735 740
- Ruhl, R. L. Ruhl, R. A. 1997 Prediction of Steady State Roll Threshold for Loaded Flat Bed Trailers - Theory and Calculation SAE paper 973261
- Bernard, J. Shannan, J. Vanderploeg, M. 1989 Vehicle Rollover on Smooth Surfaces SAE paper 891991
- Marine, M. C. Wirth, J. L. Thomas, T. M. 1999 Characteristics of On-Road Rollovers SAE paper 1999-01-0122