This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Directional Response and Yaw Stability of Articulated Log Hauling Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 04, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The planar mathematical model for various design configurations of articulated log-hauling truck in the form of a tandem axle tractor and two separate semi-trailer units, commonly known as super B train truck, is developed. A thorough kinematics and dynamic analyses of the log-hauling combination trucks, incorporating up to three axles to be steerable for the tractor, are carried out and the governing differential equations for the lateral and yaw planar motions are derived. Using a computer simulation model, the directional performance and the lateral and yaw and stability of this articulated truck is fully investigated through transient and harmonic response analyses. Finally, a parameter sensitivity analysis was carried out for different variables involved in the simulation model, to study the sensitivity of the steady-state response to various parameters.
CitationEsmailzadeh, E. and Tabarrok, B., "Directional Response and Yaw Stability of Articulated Log Hauling Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3478, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3478.
- Nalcez, A.G. and Genin, J., 1984, “Dynamic stability of heavy articulated vehicles”, International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 417-426.
- Vlk, F., 1985, “Handling performance of truck-trailer vehicles”, International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 6, pp. 323-361.
- Dugoff, H. and Murphy, R. W., 1995, “The dynamic performance of articulated highway vehicles”, SAE Technical Paper, No. 952589.
- Schmid, I., 1967, “Engineering approach to truck and tractor stability”, SAE Technical Paper, No. 670006.
- Hales, F. D., 1975, “The rigid body dynamics of road vehicle -trains”, Proceedings, Fourth VSD and First IUTAM Symposium, Delft, Netherlands, pp. 131 - 151.
- Singh, M., 1975, “The lateral stability of a simplified truck - trailer”, M.Sc. Thesis, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Esmailzadeh, E., and Tabarrok, B., 1990, “An investigation into the dynamics and stability of log-hauling vehicles”, Technical Report, University of Victoria, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Victoria, BC, Canada.
- Esmailzadeh, E. and Tabarrok, B., 1991, “Directional performance of a log-hauling truck”, Proceeding, Canadian Multi-disciplinary Road Safety Conference VII, June 17-19, Vancouver, Canada.
- Preston - Thomas, J. and Wong, J. Y., 1989, “The gradability of logging trucks”, Final Report, Vehicle Systems Development Corporation, Ontario, Canada.
- Aurell, J. and Edlund, S., 1989, “The influence of steered axles on the dynamic stability of heavy vehicles”, SAE Technical Paper, No. 892498.
- Pflug, H. -C., 1986, “Lateral dynamic behavior of truck - trailer combinations due to the influence of the load”, Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 15, pp. 155 - 175.
- Esmailzadeh, E. and Taghirad, D. T., 1995, “Ride comfort and roll characteristics of tandem axle truck”, New Developments in the Axle, Steering, Suspension and Chassis Technology, SAE Special Publication, SP-1128, pp. 1-8.
- Esmailzadeh, E., Tong, L., and Tabarrok, B., 1991, “Road vehicle dynamics of log-hauling combination trucks”, SAE Transactions, Journal of Commercial Vehicles, Vol. 100, Section 2, pp. 453 - 467.
- Tabarrok, B., Tong, L., and Esmailzadeh, E., 1993, “The yaw stability of log-hauling combination trucks”, Transactions of the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering, (Transport 1992+), Vol. 17, No. 4B, pp. 907-921.
- Ellis, J. R., 1994, “Vehicle handling dynamics”, Page Brothers Publications, Norwich, United Kingdom.
- Wong, J. Y., 1993, “Theory of ground vehicles”, John Wiley and Sons, New York, USA.
- D'Souza, A. F. and Eshleman, R. L., 1982, “Maneuverability limits and handling criterion of articulated vehicles”, ASME, AMD Series, Vol. 50, pp. 117 -132.
- Gillespie, T. D., 1992, “Fundamentals of vehicle dynamics”, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Publication, Warrendale, USA.