This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reduced Friction Power Cell Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development of a low friction power cell (piston, piston rings, connecting rod and bearings) for a spark-ignition 1.0 liter engine with the help of mathematical simulations.
Using numerical modelling, small variations in friction power loss can be studied, which would be impossible by actual engine tests due to uncertainties in measurement process.
Although it was not possible to experimentally quantify the individual component gains, the increase in engine brake power measured with the engine running with the original and modified power cells correlates very well with the simulated values.
CitationTomanik, E., Nigro, E., Zabeu, C., and Peixoto, V., "Reduced Friction Power Cell Components," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3321, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3321.
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals McGraw Hill Book Co. 1988
- Patton, K. J. Nitschke, R. G. Heywood, J. B. “Development and Evaluation of a Friction Model for Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 890836 1989
- Yamawaki, M. Scheling, H. Freier, R. “Influência Dos Pistões Sobre As Forças De Atrito No Motor” SAE Paper 962343 1996
- McGeehan, J. A. “A Literature Review of the Effects of Piston and Ring Friction and Lubricating Oil Viscosity on Fuel Economy” SAE Paper 780673 1978
- Rosenberg, R. C. “General Friction Considerations for Engine Design” SAE Paper 821576 1982
- Parker, D. A. Adams, D. R. Barret, D. J. S. “The Reduction of Friction in the Internal Combustion Engine” AE Symposium, paper 29 1982
- Uras, M. H. Patterson Donald, J. “Measurement Of Piston And Ring Assembly Friction Instantaneous IMEP Method” SAE Paper 830416 1983
- Hill, S. Newman, B. “Piston Ring Designs for Reduced Friction” SAE Paper 841222 1984
- Goenka, T. K. “Flare: Na Integrated Software package for Friction and Lubricant Analysis of Automotive Engines - part I - Overview and applications” SAE Paper 920487 1992
- Thring, R. H. “Engine Friction Modelling” SAE Paper 920482 1992
- Halsband, V. M. “Messung und Optimierung der Reinbungsverluste der Kolbengruppe- Teil 2” MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschrift 65 104 110 1995
- PISDYN - Documentation/User's Manual version 2.7 Ricardo Inc. 2000
- Bishop, I. N. “Effect of Design Variables on Friction and Economy” SAE Trans. 73 334 358 1965
- RINGPAK - Documentation/User's Manual version 3.3 Ricardo Inc. 2000
- Tomanik, E. et al. “Influência Da Configuração Da Folga Entre Pontas Do Anel De Compressão No Blow-By De Motores De Combustão Interna” SAE Paper 931669 1993
- Padial, M. Tejada, A. “Aplicação De Um Pacote De Anéis De Pistão De Alta Tecnologia Para Redução De Consumo De Óleo E Blow-By Em Motores Otto” SAE Paper 952237 1995
- Tomanik, E. Piccilli, M. “Steel Piston Rings - A Solution with Lower Environmental Impact” SAE Paper 962318 1996