This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Highly Accurate Measure of Time in PC Simulations of Control Systems with Sensors in the Loop
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The measure of time intervals with relatively high accuracy (of 1 milisecond, at least) in PC computers is a relatively hard task to solve. But this is essential for the digital simulation, with sensors in the loop, of fast control systems. This work allows the reading of the programmable internal timer 8253 present in a typical PC, reaching 1 ms resolution, at least, through a C high level language routine. The determination of the angular velocity of a 53M2-30H Contraves 3-axis dynamic simulator used in that simulation was improved by the use of this work, allowing the acquisition of consecutive measures of angles and angular velocities with a time interval smaller than 10 ms in some cases. Using this routine and other simulator control and monitoring softwares we estimated the angular velocity faster (100 ms × 210 ms)and better than the simulator Rate Readout Module, and used it in a fast real time control simulation.
- Patrícia Trindade de Araújo Tredinnick - Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais - INPE Curso de Engenharia e Tecnologia Espaciais/Mecânica Espacial e Controle-ETE/CMC
- Marcelo Lopes de Oliveira e Souza - Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais - INPE Curso de Engenharia e Tecnologia Espaciais/Mecânica Espacial e Controle-ETE/CMC
- Paulo Giácomo Milani - Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais - INPE Curso de Engenharia e Tecnologia Espaciais/Mecânica Espacial e Controle-ETE/CMC
CitationTredinnick, P., Souza, M., and Milani, P., "Highly Accurate Measure of Time in PC Simulations of Control Systems with Sensors in the Loop," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3296, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3296.
- Barbosa, D. S. 1997
- Malone, T. L. Anderson, P. H. PC Parallel Port - Sonar and Precise Timing Using External Counters
- Milani, P.G. “A New Architecture for the Simulation and Testing of Satellite Attitude and Orbit Control Systems. Hardware and Software Description” 12 th World Congress IFAC Sidney, Australia 18-23 July 1993 V 161 164
- Prudêncio, S. V. 1997
- Sheppard, B. “High-Performance Software Analysis on the IBM-PC” Byte Magazine 12 1 157 164 January 1987