This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Potentialities of Direct Injection in Spark Ignition Engines - from Gasoline to Ethanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The advantages of internal mixture formation regarding the important reduction of fuel consumption, respectively of the pollutant emission determined in the last years an intensive development of direct injection concepts. Superimposing the potential of direct injection with the advantages of ethanol concerning the availability and partial CO2 re-circulation, there appears to be an advantageous scenario for the future of SI engines.
The paper presents a direct injection system with high pressure modulation which is able to operate with different ratios of gasoline/ethanol mixture. The paper presents furthermore a concept for modeling and optimization of the mixture formation process in the case of gasoline / ethanol direct injection. The aim of modeling is to find the optimum configuration between the adaptable elements of the mixture formation as follows: Form of the pressure wave, injection timing, spray form, injector location, form of the combustion chamber and interaction between fuel and air flow within the cylinder during the mixture formation. The applied injection system has the attribute of good adaptability of the pressure wave in required form.
The time dependent simulations covered both the injection duration and the subsequent mixing process, in order to evaluate the charge motion and the distribution of the fuel mass fraction inside the cylinder before ignition.
CitationStan, C., Tröger, R., Lensi, R., Martoran, L. et al., "Potentialities of Direct Injection in Spark Ignition Engines - from Gasoline to Ethanol," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3270, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3270.
- Stan, C.: Direct Injection Systems for Spark-Ignition and Compression-Ignition Engineer, SAE 2000, ISBN 0-7680-0610-4, Order Nr. R-289
- Kampmann, S.; Moser, W.: DI System for Fuel Injection in Spark-Plug Engines: Common Rail Injection System and Mixture Formation, International Conference „Modern Systems for Direct Injection in Spark Plug and Diesel Engines” Essen / Germany, 23./24. Sept. 1997, Proceedings
- Iwamoto, H.: Development of Injection System for Gasoline Direct Injection Engine, International Conference „Modern Systems for Direct Injection in Spark Plug and Diesel Engines” Essen / Germany, 23./24. Sept. 1997, Proceedings
- Stan, C.; Personnaz; J.: Car Hybrid Propulsion Strategy Using an Ultra Light GDI Two-Stroke Engine, SAE Paper 1999-01-2940
- Stan, C.; Lefebvre, J.L.: Development of a Direct Injection Concept for Two Wheelers Equipped with Two Stroke Engines, SAE Paper 1999-01-1248
- Stan, C.; Lebrun, M.: Concept of interactive development of a GDI system with high-pressure modulation; SAE Paper 2000-01-1042
- Stan, C.; Guenther, S.; Martorano, L.; Tarantino, L.: Aspects of Mixture Formation and Combustion in GDI Engines, SAE Paper 2000-01-0648
- Stan, C.; Tröger, R.; Grimaldi, C. N.; Postrioti, L.: Analysis Method for the Spray Characteristics of a GDI System with High Pressure Modulation, SAE Paper 2000-01-1043
- Cathcart, G. P.; Zavier, C.: Fundamental Characteristics of an Air Assisted Direct Injection Combustion system as Applied to 4 Stroke Automotive Gasoline Engines, SAE Paper 2000-01-0257
- Caponi, D.; Nuti; M.: Appraisal of Secondary Air Injection for Emission Reduction in Small 2T SI Engines, SAE Paper 2000-01-0899
- Duret, P.: The Fields of Application of IAPAC Compressed Air Assisted DI Fuel Injection, “Modern Injection Systems for Direct Injection in Spark-Plug and Diesel Engines”, International Conference „Modern Systems for Direct Injection in Spark Plug and Diesel Engines”, Essen / Germany, 23./24. Sept. 1997, Proceedings
- Stan, C.; Guenther, S.; Martorano, L.; Tarantino, C.: Aspects of Mixture Formation and Combustion in GDI Engines, SAE Paper 2000-01648
- Franco, A.; Martorano, L.; Stan, C.; Eichert, H.: Development of Two Stroke Engines with Direct Injection, SAE Paper 951776
- Franco, A.; Martorano, L.; Stan, C.; Eichert, H.: Numerical Analysis of the Performances of a Small Two Stroke Engine with Direct Injection, SAE Paper 960362
- Stan, C.; -Eichert, H.; Martorano, L; Franco, A.: Fluid Dynamic Modeling of Gasoline Direct Injection for Compact Combustion Chambers, SAE Paper 980755
- Stan, C.; Eichert, H; Tröger, R.; Martorano, L.; Bacciotini, C; Franco, A.: Concept for Modeling and optimization of the Mixture Formation using Gasoline Direct Injection in Compact High Speed Engines, SAE Paper 1999-01-2935
- Stan, C.: Experimental Analysis of the Fuel Spray Characteristics for DI High Speed Engines Using a Ram Tuned Injection System, SAE Paper 972742