This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimizing Rubber Products for the Automotive Industry Via Characterization of Compounds and Computer Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Trends in the automotive industry to develop better products, faster and at a lower cost create a need for simulation rather than testing prototypes. Modeling requires a laboratory to characterize rubber and high-end software to carry out nonlinear analysis typical to rubber applications (contact, large deformations and hyper-elastic material response).
This paper describes some tests on rubber necessary to building quasi-static models. It also presents several analytical studies WIDL completed on behalf of molders of rubber components for the automotive industry. Computer predictions were within 5% of test results in most cases presented.
CitationChouchaoui, B., "Optimizing Rubber Products for the Automotive Industry Via Characterization of Compounds and Computer Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3153, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3153.
- “ASTM Designation D638 - 91 (Reapproved 1992) - Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics” 1994 ANNUAL BOOK OF ASTM STANDARDS 08.01
- “ASTM Designation E132 - 86 (Reapproved 1992) - Standard Test Method for Poisson's Ratio at Room Temperature” 1994 ANNUAL BOOK OF ASTM STANDARDS 08.01
- Trealor, L.R.G. “The Physics of Rubber Elasticity” Second Edition Oxford University Press England 1958
- Trealor, L.R.G. “Stress-Strain Data for Vulcanized Rubber under Various Types of Deformation” Trans. Faraday Soc. 40 59 1940
- Gregory, M.T. “The Stress-Strain Behaviour of Filled Rubbers at Moderate Strains” Plastics and Rubber: Material and Applications 1979
- Ogden, R.W. “Recent Advances in the Phenomenological Theory of Rubber Elasticity” Rubber Chemistry & Technology 59 361 1986
- Rivlin, R.S. “Large Elastic Deformations of Isotropic Materials, IV. Further Developments of the General Theory” Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. London A 241 1948
- “ASTM Designation E412-87 - Test Methods for Rubber Property in Tension” 1994 ANNUAL BOOK OF ASTM STANDARDS 09.02
- “ASTM Designation D575-88 - Test Methods for Rubber Property in Compression” 1994 ANNUAL BOOK OF ASTM STANDARDS 09.01
- Twizell, E.H. Ogden, R.W. “Non-linear Optimization of the Material Constants in Ogden's Stress-Deformation Function for Incompressible Isotropic Elastic Materials” J. Austral. Math. Soc., Series B 24 424 434 1983
- “MARC User's Manual” MARC Analysis Research Corporation Palo Alto, CA 1996
- “ABAQUS/Standard User's Manual” Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc. Pawtucket, RI 1998
- “Pro| ENGINEER User Manuals” Parametric Technology Corp. Waterham MA 1998
- “Pro| Mesh/Pro| FEM -Post User Guide” Parametric Technology Corp. Waterham MA 1998