This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On the Analysis of Brake Squeal Propensity Using Finite Element Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present work, the finite element method is used to analyze the friction-induced vibration of brake systems, which may lead to squeal. A new approach is proposed to model the friction interaction at the rotor/pad interface, leading to the dynamic equations which well represent the dynamic characteristics of brake systems. The complex eigenvalue analysis method is then employed to detect the unstable modes of the system.
The analytical method presented can be applied to both disk brake and drum brake systems. Some application results are presented and discussed.
CitationBlaschke, P., Tan, M., and Wang, A., "On the Analysis of Brake Squeal Propensity Using Finite Element Method," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2765, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2765.
- Fosberry R. Holubecki Z. “Disc Brake Squeal: Its Mechanism and Suppression” M.I.R.A Research Report No. 1961/2
- Earles S.W.E. Soar G. B. “Squeal Noise in Disc Brakes” I.Mech.E. 1971 Vib. & Noise in Motor Vehs. 61 69
- Murakami H. Tsumada N. Kitamura T. “Study Concerned with a Mechanism of Disc-Brake Squeal” SAE paper 841233 1984
- Hu Y. Nagy L. “Brake Squeal Analysis by Using Nonlinear Transient Finite Element Method” SAE paper 971510 1997
- Chargin M.L. et al. “Nonlinear Dynamics of Brake Squeal” Finite Elements In Analysis And Design 28 69 82 1997
- Allgaier, R. Gaul, L. Keiper, W. Willner, K. “Mode Lock-In and Friction Modeling” Gaul, L. Brebbia, C. A. Computational Methods in Contact Mechanics IV Southampton WIT Press 35 47 1999
- Liles G. “Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Methods” SAE paper 891150 1989
- Nack W. “Brake squeal analysis by finite elements” Proceedings Of The 1999 Noise and Vibration Conference SAE 639 648 1999
- Kung S. et al. “Complex eigenvalue analysis for reducing low frequency brake squeal” SAE Conference 2000 91 97 2000